Spooky books for Halloween - what would you read?

(35 Posts)
StillTryingHard Wed 28-Sep-16 19:19:55

So December will be all about Christmas books. But as it's October what would you recommend for some seasonal spooky fiction?

EsmesBees Wed 28-Sep-16 19:25:45

Try Dark Matter by Michelle Parven. Very atmospheric and tense. As well as actually scary.

StillTryingHard Fri 30-Sep-16 23:46:03

Thanks esme - I will check it out

AmberGreyson Sat 01-Oct-16 15:42:35

i am not a fan of spooky books

Got to be The Woman in White.

SquatBetty Sun 02-Oct-16 13:41:59

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill is my all time favourite ghost story. She's got a new collection of short ghost stories out at the moment so I'm going to buy that soon.

Dark Matter is also very good as mentioned by Esmesbees

pinkmoomin Sun 02-Oct-16 22:40:58

Slade House by David Mitchell

BonusNewt Sun 02-Oct-16 22:42:56

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

Chocfish72 Mon 03-Oct-16 06:31:14

Dark matter and the woman in black were both fantastic.

Salems Lot is properly scary!

Dark Matter is cheapo on Kindle right now. Must admit that I didn't love it (I loved the earlier bit, before the silly scary stuff starts!) but know that lots of MNers really enjoyed it.

And if we're talking King, I'd suggest 'It'.

MaddyHatter Mon 03-Oct-16 18:17:09

Faerie Tale by Raymond E Feist.. very creepy.

nobodysbabynow Mon 03-Oct-16 21:28:44

Any Adam Nevill, but especially House of Small Shadows.

SashaCattyGarfield Tue 04-Oct-16 15:35:44

the SO loves Graham Masterton. im not keen but you may like them.

TolpuddleFarterOATB Tue 04-Oct-16 15:41:48

Woman in White - Wilkie Collins

jessicaisonfire123 Tue 04-Oct-16 15:48:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LooseSeal Tue 04-Oct-16 15:51:52

For classic spooky it's got to be M.R James, if you want something more contemporary I'd go for Phil Rickman and his Merrily Watson series.

LooseSeal Tue 04-Oct-16 15:54:07

Adam Nevil isn't spooky, his stuff is bloody terrifying! End of Days had me genuinely sleeping with the lights on, and I consider myself a seasoned horror fan.

NotAMammy Tue 04-Oct-16 19:05:06

Salem's Lot was the first book I read that absolutely terrified me. I think I was about 12 when I read it too, as I'd nicked it off my sister.

It also taught me the word 'sphincter'

Can I recommend Dracula too?

I've just started Birdsong, but I might see if I can get Dark Matter downloaded and try that afterwards.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo to Merrily Stupid Whatshername. I loathed that book.

redannie118 Tue 04-Oct-16 20:03:33

Try Haunted by James Herbert-proper old fashion haunted house tale with romance and a brilliant twist at the end
Or for short stories try 20th century ghosts by Joe Hill Stephen kings son and IMHO a much better writer

LumpySpacedPrincess Tue 04-Oct-16 20:28:09

Merrily Watkins is ace and v. spooky, so there! grin

The girl in the swing by Richard Adams is chilling, I had trouble sleeping afterwards.

glenthebattleostrich Tue 04-Oct-16 20:34:06

I was going to recommend Haunted or The Secrets of Crickley Hall, also by James Herbert. I always read them around Halloween.

I'm currently reading the woman in black, so far it's very atmospheric.

Willow2016 Tue 04-Oct-16 20:49:07

'The Magic Cottage' James Herbert is pretty good.
'77 Shadow St' Dean Koontz is creepy too.
'Moonlight Bay' Dean Koontz is chilling but not because its old fashioned gothic horror, its new science 'could be in the future' horror!

alrightarekid Tue 04-Oct-16 20:52:13

Dr Sleep by Stephen King. It's the sequel to The Shining but very different. So, spooky and so readable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now