If I like Nora Ephron

(11 Posts)
AnnaChronism Fri 16-Sep-16 09:10:58

I tend to listen to Audible books, rather than read books at the moment.

I discovered Nora Ephron, although some of her journalistic writing is dated I really like her style of writing, the combination of humour and candour.

Can anyone recommend another author (written or audiobooks) I might like?

MermaidofZennor Fri 16-Sep-16 12:16:18

David Sedaris is very good. I love his books.

AnnaChronism Fri 16-Sep-16 16:30:00

Me too Mermaid grin ! I've read and listened to every David Sedaris I could get my hands on and seen him live. He's a firm favourite of mine.

I also like Jon Ronson and Mark Thomas too.

I think I'm going to try Stuart Maconie next but if you have any other suggestions I'd be grateful.

MermaidofZennor Fri 16-Sep-16 16:56:26

Bill Bryson, perhaps? Or Sue Perkins's autobiography Spectacles.

tripfiction Fri 16-Sep-16 20:27:14

Try her sister Delia, I have just discovered her writing and I believe there was some collaboration somewhere along the line: "Siracusa" - plus on this link there is an author QA www.tripfiction.com/novel-set-in-rome-and-syracuse/

MermaidofZennor Sat 17-Sep-16 05:32:40

Yes, I'd forgotten Delia also wrote blush. I've read Hanging Up (which I seem to remember was quite amusing), but no others.

AnnaChronism Sun 18-Sep-16 07:16:35

Delia Ephron? I'll take a look, thank you.

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 18-Sep-16 15:20:39

Dorothy Parker? Even more dated but still funny and wry classic journalism.

I really enjoyed Where'd you Go Bernadette? Recently - it's a novel and not really the same at all but from funny and unusual female perspective about career, relationships and navigating modern life.

Also if you liked the foodie aspects of Nora Ephron's writing, I've just finished The Pedant in the Kitchen by Julian Barnes, which was very well written and amusing on recipes and cooking.

AnnaChronism Mon 19-Sep-16 21:53:33

Dorothy Parker is a great suggestion Satsuki thank you.

I've listened to Where'd You Go Bernadette? And I liked that too.

I also liked Domestic Violets by Matthew Norman too.

MsAmerica Sat 24-Sep-16 16:16:02

Dorothy Parker can be great, but the more you read, the more it seems like an accumulation of grim unhappiness.

TimTamTerrier Sat 24-Sep-16 16:25:05

You might like Michael Pollan, I particularly loved A Place of my Own about building a writing room in his garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now