Books for my mum

(10 Posts)
WIllWorkForShoes Fri 16-Sep-16 09:01:54

I'm nipping off to the library in a minute to get some books for my mum who is child/house sitting next week.

Any suggestions? She likes nice stories, psychologically thrillers that aren't gory, and nothing too sweary or sexy! She enjoyed Girl on a Train, The Ice Twins and The Light Between Oceans.

Thank you.

WIllWorkForShoes Fri 16-Sep-16 09:02:55

I say in a minute, I mean in a while!

tripfiction Fri 16-Sep-16 20:28:55

Try anything by Dinah Jeffries

And The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper which is just coming out in paperback

WillWorkForShoes Fri 16-Sep-16 21:48:49

Thank you smile

TeaMeBasil Mon 26-Sep-16 20:25:20

I let you go by Clare mackintosh - good story with a twist

Does she likes historical mystery stuff like Kate mortons books? I read two recently along those lines that were very good : The girl in the photograph and The shadow hour - both by Kate riordan.

Nice non-thriller books I've read recently are Ove by Fredrick Backman (excellent) and The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. Both lovely gentle stories with a good dose of humour. Very feel-good.

I'll see if I can think of anymore!

TeaMeBasil Mon 26-Sep-16 20:26:33

Ha just realised when you posted!! Whoops, bit late sorry!

WillWorkForShoes Wed 28-Sep-16 21:21:17

Thanks TeaMeBasil.

She does like historical books so those mystery ones sound good. I will keep them in mind for next time/birthday/Christmas. There's always opportunities for new reads!! smile

dalek Fri 30-Sep-16 22:36:10

If she hasn't already read it this is beautiful

fatowl Sun 02-Oct-16 15:16:22

My mum enjoyed the Robert Galbraith books (JK Rowling)

Sosidges Sun 02-Oct-16 16:44:15

The lollipop shoes, sequel to Chocolat, Enchanted April, Sarah Challis, the Garden Party, one last dance, The beach hut next door, Hello from the Gillespies, The long Weekend, Mrs SinclAirs suitcase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now