Book recommendations please!

(11 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 12-Sep-16 08:43:54

Hi! I'm trying to get into the habit of reading and would love some book suggestions! I gravitate towards memoirs and non-fictiony self-helpy type things but definitely enjoy a good fiction book, just don't know where to start or how to find a good book!

Authors I've enjoyed in the past:
Sebastian Faulks
Ben Elton
Gillian Flynn

That's literally all I can think of off the top of my head. Like I say, I don't have much experience!

Started the Cazalets this weekend, they've been on my shelf for about a year. Enjoying them so far.

I'm 26 and haven't read much at all since school so am kind of lost and stuck in a YA mindframe blushgrin

Would love an inspiring memoir and some good fiction, unputdownable would be fab as I feel I need some easy/good reads to get me into the habit of reading.

Thanks!

TitsTingle Mon 12-Sep-16 08:47:51

Girl on the train
How to be brave
Winter solstice

A few I have read this year and enjoyed.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 12-Sep-16 11:22:23

Thanks! Girl On The Train is one I have actually read! How to be brave sounds good smile

kohl Mon 12-Sep-16 11:31:47

All the Birds Singing by Evie Wyld is wonderful, i think you'd enjoy it, based on your previous likes.

kohl Mon 12-Sep-16 12:00:41

Miriam toews also v good -fictionalised memoir A Complicated Kindness.
Helen Macdonald's memoir H for Hawk
The Nest-fiction
The Fates & the Furies-fiction

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 12-Sep-16 13:00:40

All the Birds Said inging is apparently 'bleak' - that appeals to me! I'll check it out. All of them sound good! Thanks.

AmberGreyson Mon 12-Sep-16 13:19:55

Bel Ami

PhoenixRisingSlowly Mon 12-Sep-16 13:55:40

Maggie O'Farrell! One of my fave authors, all of her books are very good by varying degrees but I particularly liked After You'd Gone and also The Vanishing Act Of Esme Lennox which I found unexpectedly poignant and moving. After You'd Gone will also make you cry but by God, it's a good book. Also Instructions For A Heatwave was good but less 'grip you by the lapels with it's amazingness' and just a nice read.

Ian McEwan is very good as well, he really knows how to tell a brilliant story. I haven't read his last few books but I liked On Chesil Beach and also Enduring Love, which is probably my fave by him. Definitely worth a read.

TitsTingle Mon 12-Sep-16 14:19:20

How to be brave was excellent.
Another one I loved was eleven hours Paulina Simons it's really gripping smile.

MermaidofZennor Mon 12-Sep-16 14:51:01

Some good memoirs I've read recently -

Shop Girl by Mary Portas
Spectacles by Sue Perkins
The Tent, The Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy
Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal by Jeanette Winterson
Not My Father's Son by Alan Cummings

MermaidofZennor Mon 12-Sep-16 14:53:24

Oh and seconding Phoenix's recommendation of Ian McEwan. Started reading Nutshell yesterday (his latest novel). Can't decide whether it's brilliant or a bit bonkers but it is gripping. Enjoying it very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now