Decent Queen Victoria biography?

(7 Posts)
EverySongbirdSays Sun 11-Sep-16 21:07:12

Can anyone recommend a good biography of QV the current ITV show is absolute pish, and is inducing me with so many hmm especially the 'Downstairs' stuff which is completely fabricated, I believe?

I also know from a documentary I saw that she could be very difficult and didn't take to motherhood.

I did enjoy The Young Victoria with Emily Blunt but I don't know how accurate that was either

MermaidofZennor Mon 12-Sep-16 06:45:45

Victoria: A Life by A N Wilson. I haven't read it, but DH has read another of his books about the Victorians and found it fascinating and thorough, but said it was a little dry in places.

walruswhiskers Mon 12-Sep-16 06:53:21

I enjoyed Queen Victorias Daughters - obv not directly about her but fascinating insights into her controlling behaviours esp after Albert died.

EverySongbirdSays Tue 13-Sep-16 00:14:30

I might enjoy the daughters one. From what I saw on a documentary she was a Narc Mum from hell.

But her own childhood was terrible and I'd like stuff about her mum and Conroy also

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Tue 13-Sep-16 01:08:26

Cecil Woodham-Smith wrote a very well thought of biography of her, from birth to Prince Albert'Square death, published in 1972. She died before doing the second volume. It is some years since I read it, but it does mostly look at relationships and, as I recall, deals substantially with her childhood.

BestIsWest Tue 13-Sep-16 21:40:54

It's years since I read it but the Elizabeth Longford one was very readable.

Susan24175 Tue 20-Sep-16 19:32:52

"Queen Victoria's children "as a good insight into Victoria's behaviour as well as the children. Very well written by John Van Der Kiste.He has also written other books on royalty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now