Read my third (and, I hope, last) Dostoyevsky: Brothers Karamazov

(5 Posts)
MsAmerica Mon 29-Aug-16 01:07:54

I liked it the best of the three (the others being Idiot and C&P), maybe because it more closely approximated my idea of a story, or made the characters clearer - even though it was apparent that the only reason for the story was to have a framework to hang the long speeches about morality and religion. Still, frustrating for me that after all that length and complexity, nothing is really resolved.

But that's it! No more, I hope. His books are so peopled with characters always giving themselves over to hysterics and histrionics. Enough! Interestingly, I gather that much of Dostoyevsky's life may have been like that - his father was such a dreadful man that he was murdered by his serfs - so maybe he was indeed writing what he knew.

My particular edition declares him to be the greatest novelist of all time, and this the greatest novel. Do you agree? I sure don't.

anneyaramis Mon 05-Sep-16 20:37:58

I haven't read any of his books, but I do like Russian literature although I prefer the short stories of Chekhov, in fact I bloody love them.

I listen to a great series of lectures called 'Classics of Russian Literature' part of the Great Classics series by Prof Irwin Weil. It is brilliant and so informative and really helps me when reading Russian tomes.

anneyaramis Mon 05-Sep-16 20:37:58

I haven't read any of his books, but I do like Russian literature although I prefer the short stories of Chekhov, in fact I bloody love them.

I listen to a great series of lectures called 'Classics of Russian Literature' part of the Great Classics series by Prof Irwin Weil. It is brilliant and so informative and really helps me when reading Russian tomes.

anneyaramis Mon 05-Sep-16 20:38:03

anneyaramis Mon 05-Sep-16 20:38:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now