Books set in / around Polperro, Cornwall?

(18 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Sun 21-Aug-16 00:02:54

Anyone know any? (not the Judy Finnegan one which I've read)

tripfiction Sun 21-Aug-16 14:01:16

Try The Lake House by Kate Morton

MermaidofZennor Sun 21-Aug-16 20:27:23

A lot of Daphne Du Maurier's novels were set in Cornwall. She lived not far from Polperro, nr Fowey. Polperro itself is a bit specific, but if you include more of the south Cornwall coast, such as Mevagissey, Fowey, Helford Passage etc then you'll get quite a few more. Patrick Gale sets some of his novels in Cornwall - I believe he lives right down in the far west near Penzance. Rosamund Pilcher wrote some set in Cornwall, as did Mary Wesley (The Camomile Lawn).

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 21-Aug-16 20:35:32

Yes to Daphne DuMaurier. Not far at all from Polperro and you get Polruan and Fowey - The Loving Spirit is a good one to start with. Also Jamaica Inn.

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 21-Aug-16 22:06:32

thankyou!

babybythesea Thu 25-Aug-16 21:16:06

The Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher, is set largely in Cornwall.

bumpetybumpbumpbump Sat 27-Aug-16 06:52:48

I seem to have read loads of books recently set in Cornwall! It's a poplar setting for psychological thrillers...
Just read in her wake by Amanda Jennings and reading remember me this way by Sabine durrant. Both party set somewhere in Cornwall.

Another one for the Lake House and I've also recently read Black Rabbit Hall which is also set in Cornwall!

Palomb Sat 27-Aug-16 06:53:56

I read the Poldark books on holiday in Cornwall a few years ago ❤️

MermaidofZennor Sat 27-Aug-16 14:14:05

When God Was A Rabbit by Sarah Winman is set partly in Cornwall, and her second novel A Year of Marvellous Ways, is set there too.

DH read Black Rabbit Hall recently and said it was quite a good read. If you're interested in some non fiction about Cornwall, then I bought Rising Ground by Philip Marsden recently. Was on the Wainwright prize shortlist for 2015.

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 14-Sep-16 23:16:31

have just got A Year of Marvellous Ways to take with me (came into the charity shop I run) but hadn't flicked through it and had no idea it's set there ! smile

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 14-Sep-16 23:17:13

ie to take with me to Polperro in a couple of weeks.. going for ten nights smile

ThirdWheelSally Wed 14-Sep-16 23:23:54

I've just been to Polperro on holiday- gorgeous place! Have a great time OP totally misses point of thread

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 15-Sep-16 23:47:00

how long did you go for, ThirdWheel?
Am so excited. Have only had a couple of v brief evening visits before so haven't even seen it in daytime.
It's the prettiest place ever

ChessieFL Sat 17-Sep-16 05:07:45

Polperro is lovely although gets very busy. I can highly recommend the fish & chips in the Blue Peter (pub by the harbour).

Books - I have seen a crime series set in Cornwall by Janie Bolitho. Anyone read them? Just wondering if they're worth a go.

ThirdWheelSally Fri 23-Sep-16 10:46:57

Went for a week, had plenty to do around the area. Are you there yet? Can highly recommend Couch's restaurant- absolutely amazing. Such good value for incredible food!

There are some chick lit books set in Cornwall - Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe by Debbie Johnson is one that springs to mind.

A number of Rosamund Pilcher's books are set all or partly in Cornwall - Coming Home, Voices in Summer, the Empty House, The Day of the Storm and Another View.

piebald Mon 26-Sep-16 17:39:10

Some of Patrick Gales books are set in Cornwall

MaQueen Tue 27-Sep-16 22:28:26

Marcia Willet's books are mainly set in Cornwall. Her style is very similar to Rosamund Pilcher's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now