Audiobooks.

(13 Posts)
mrsknickers Sat 20-Aug-16 18:35:09

I've just listened to my first audio book, play dead by Harlen Coben which was brilliant but I want to venture further out into audio world and wondered if anyone had listened to some good audiobooks that they might like to recommend. I'm open minded to types whether crime, romance or whatever. I'm literally all ears to your suggestions. Anyone else out there that enjoys audio books too?

Sosidges Sat 20-Aug-16 21:07:01

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope, narrated by Timothy West. So many characters which come alive. Timothy West does voices like no other.
If you are new to audible try searching by Narrator sometimes. I have returned many lovely books, due to poor narration.Timothy West and Juliet Stevenson are my favourite narrators.
Other recommendations, Little lies Lianne Moriarty, anything by Sarah Walters. Also Hello from the Gillespies. The last one is about a woman who accidentally sends an email about her life, when in a ranting fit. Bit like posting on MN, then finding the whole world reads it.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 20-Aug-16 21:07:49

Stephen King

fatowl Sat 20-Aug-16 21:36:09

I get through far more books on Audible than I do reading on my Kindle as I spend a lot of time driving and I also have them on when doing housework etc.

My favourites in the last 12 months have been:

11-22-63 - Stephen King.
Never read Stephen King before, but this gripped me from the very beginning. About a high school teacher who discovers he can go back in time and tries to prevent the JFK assassination.

Katherine - Anya Seyton
About Katherine Swynford, the mistress of John of Gaunt whose illegitimate children eventually became the Tudor line.

The last Kingdom- Bernard Cornwall.
Loved the narrator Stephen Keeble- he really took you there. There was a recent BBC adaptation, based around the Viking/Saxon struggles in the 800s.

Americanah- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Again, a great narrator, story of a young Nigerian woman who goes to the USA to study and he subsequent return home.

Sadik Sat 20-Aug-16 22:28:53

That's a great recommendation Sosidges, I've been trying to put together a list for audible for the autumn, will definitely look out the Trollope (I wonder if TW also reads Can You Forgive Her / The Eustace Diamonds, they're my favourites) smile

Sadik Sat 20-Aug-16 22:30:00

And on the theme of good narrators, I've just listened to The Difference Engine by William Gibson / Bruce Sterling absolutely beautifully read by Simon Vance - it's a book that doesn't work for me at all on paper, but was ideal on audio.

mrsknickers Sat 20-Aug-16 23:44:32

Thanks for the recommendations. I will get straight onto ordering some. I haven't actually signed up to audible as I wasn't convinced £7 a month for one book was a bargain. Am I wrong? Is it actually the best way if you are a regular audio listener.

mrsknickers Sat 20-Aug-16 23:44:58

Thanks for the recommendations. I will get straight onto ordering some. I haven't actually signed up to audible as I wasn't convinced £7 a month for one book was a bargain. Am I wrong? Is it actually the best way if you are a regular audio listener.

Sosidges Sun 21-Aug-16 08:50:14

I do the largest order, because they work out at less than £5 I think. The best thing, I find is how amazing their customer service is. Never quibble if a book is returned, always helpful, and a personalised recommendations list based on your purchases. I started of small, but became addicted. I cannot sleep now unless I have a book in my ear.

Just bought Mrs Dalloway also a Juliet Stevenson narration.

antimatter Sun 21-Aug-16 14:50:59

I am on yearly subscription.
24 books for £109. Some books I bought on 2-4-1 sale or with vouchers we get when other sales are on. I guess I got over 30 books last year for that subscription. 1 book a month isn't enough for me. Then if you finish your 24 books you can get 3 credits for £10.

I also love Juliet Stephenson. I was mesmerised by Rebecca eead by her.
I just finished listening to Hot Milk and The North Water from this year's Booker prize long list and can recommend both.
There are older threads on this board with recomendations too.

gillygeorge Sun 21-Aug-16 19:19:43

I love Audible, I just don't have time to sit down and read all the books I want so I'm always listening to one while I iron/do housework/walk/garden, have another book in the house for when I can grab 1/2 hour, and a third on my kindle + phone app in case I'm out and have a few minutes to spare. I take out the annual membership, what I like is if you really don't enjoy a book you can return it for a full refund, no questions asked. Some of my favourite Audible books have been:
The book thief-Markus Suzak
The ice twins-S K Tremayne
Mt grandmother sends her regards and apologises-Fredrik Backman
The last runaway-Tracey Chevalier
To kill a mockingbird-Harper Lee
The secret in their eyes-Eduardo Sacheri
Remarkable creatures-Tracey Chevalier
A place called winter-Patrick Gale

Happy reading!

grumpmitchell Sun 21-Aug-16 19:28:54

I just had to add to this thread. I'm currently listening to Roald Dahl's 'Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar' read by Andrew Scott (who plays Moriarty in Sherlock) and he is an absolutely cracking narrator. Highly recommended.

trancer Sun 21-Aug-16 23:36:22

I've just finished 'The girl with all the gifts' on Audible, it was amazing! I am bereft now, need to get another on the go soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now