audio book for adults and kids?

(25 Posts)
yoink Thu 18-Aug-16 09:30:05

For a long car journey.

Done Harry Potter. Done Hunger Games. Someone on another thread recommended The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy which would have been spot on except DH says he's read/listened/seen it and wants something new.

Kids are 4, 9 and 10 but really, probably only the 11 year old will pay any attention to it.

Any ideas? Maybe something not exactly aimed at young adults but that could be enjoyed by younger folk IYSWIM?

yoink Thu 18-Aug-16 18:43:03

ba da bump

dalek Fri 19-Aug-16 14:46:56

11.22.63 by Stephen King.

Rebecca

Both very well read

Veterinari Fri 19-Aug-16 14:49:22

The Philip Pullman series - excellent

yoink Fri 19-Aug-16 16:09:32

thanks for these. Is the stephen king book not a scary one then?

PosiePootlePerkins Fri 19-Aug-16 16:19:53

We got a collection of Roald Dahl CDs and actually all enjoyed listening, The Witches, George's Marvellous Medicine, James and the Giant Peach, Fantastic Mr Fox all went down well. Our boys are 7 and 12.

SydneyCarton Fri 19-Aug-16 16:24:59

The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper
The Hobbit
The Little House on the Prairie books

dalek Fri 19-Aug-16 17:33:12

Stephen King not scary - it's about someone who is able to go back in time and tries to stop the Kennedy assassination. 30 hours on audible!

LemonDr1zzle Fri 19-Aug-16 17:38:10

Philip Pullman's Northern Lights trilogy - fantastic, try to get the full unabridged version.
Lord of the Rings, BBC adaptation.
We've downloaded lots of programmes from R4 and 4 extra (some dramas and lots of factual ones, currently listening to a fascinating Reith lecture series on our long drive through Cornwall).

Perhaps your local library will have some audio books for loan?

Cherrypi Fri 19-Aug-16 20:03:34

Slightly left field suggestion but how about cabin pressure. It's a bbc radio 4 comedy by John Finnemore set on a small charter plane. Very funny and child friendly.

Cooroo Fri 19-Aug-16 23:58:14

DD and I loved listening to Alex Rider together when she was 12/13. Well read too.

Veterinari Thu 25-Aug-16 21:14:27

I'm also just re-listening to Watership down - wonderful and 'scary' bits of the book would go over the heads of the little ones (nicer than Hunger games anyway!)

Also the animals of Farthing wood

100milesanhour Thu 25-Aug-16 21:18:57

My child is 4 (nearly 5) but would they listen to the Julia Donaldson audiobooks? The gruffalo, room on the broom, etc.

Moonwatching Mon 29-Aug-16 14:40:54

'How to train your dragon' series narrated by David Tennant. First encountered them pre-children and loved listening with my sister. We laughed so much. Now 6 year old enjoys themy greatly. I second the Roald Dahl ones if the recording of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (narrated by Douglas Hodge) is anything to go by. Available singly on audible. But also The Book People do a collection of them for great value.

freetrampolineforall Mon 29-Aug-16 14:42:01

Artemis Fowl. All brilliant.

curlywillow Mon 29-Aug-16 14:47:21

We've been doing artemis fowl and Skulduggery Pleasant. Both been good to listen to as long as you get the unabridged versions.

Not sure a 9,10 and 11 yo will be particularly entertained by room on the broom etc, as lovely as those stories were at age 2 grin

Given than you have a 4 yo in there I would avoid Philip Pullman His Dark materials for a while. We did the first 2 last year when DS2 was 8 but the third was too much so we've put that on hold for a while.

Others we did when DS2 was younger include the borrowers, stig of the dump, the never ending story, Mr Gum

Moonwatching Mon 29-Aug-16 15:08:35

Paddington bear is good too. Both 6 year old and 4 year old like it, as do I.

crapfatbanana Mon 29-Aug-16 18:20:19

I cannot recommend highly enough Frank Cottrell Boyce books. We have listened to Cosmic, Framed and Millions on long car journeys, all of which were brilliant for children and adults alike. The stories are funny, touching, full of great characters and interesting details and FCB does not patronise young listeners/readers. I think he is a terrific writer, and the three different narrators who we have listened to, have done amazing jobs bringing the characters to life.

Summer888 Mon 29-Aug-16 20:04:23

Awful Auntie by David Walliams
Diary of a Wimpy Kids books are very entertaining for both adults and kids on audio book

wowbutter Mon 29-Aug-16 20:05:53

We are currently listening to Ronald Dahl

curlywillow Tue 30-Aug-16 07:35:41

Be careful also with David Walliams for example Demon Dentist - there's a dental related spoiler in there for little ones!

tribpot Tue 30-Aug-16 07:42:06

Frank Cottrell Boyce is great. We are reading The Secret Breakers at the moment, not sure if it's available on audio but worth looking out. Ditto The History Keepers.

33goingon64 Tue 30-Aug-16 12:09:52

Yes to How to Train Your Dragon read by David Tennant. So good DH and I carried on listening after DS fell asleep! He is a wonderful actor.

cressetmama Wed 31-Aug-16 14:35:32

If you can find it (think its out of print) The More the Merrier by Anne Fine is very funny, as are the two stories about the Killer Cat, read by Jack Dee. BBC publishing IIRC.

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 01-Sep-16 00:36:30

We also loved How to Train your Dragon.

Also, we discovered an app called LibriVox where you can get lots of older (out of copyright) books free, read by volunteers. They are a bit variable I think, but we found good versions of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz and then started Treasure Island, and the kids kept clamouring for more chapters - ours are a bit younger than your eldest, but still liked them and the adults were enjoying them too! We had a few very long drives to get through, but they went by much more peacefully than usual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now