Remind me - book on Scott's trek to North Pole

(18 Posts)
NannyPhlegm Mon 15-Aug-16 08:56:50

Earlier this year, I saw a recommendation on one of the threads for a non-fiction book on Scott's ill-fated trek to the North Pole. I was short of cash then, but made a mental note of the book to buy later. I now have book vouchers burning a hole in my pocket, but can I remember the title of the book? Can I buggery angry

Please will someone jog my memory? I think it was either Remus or Côte who suggested it originally. You shall have my eternal gratitude. flowers

JackandDiane Mon 15-Aug-16 10:32:22

it was prob me
Caroline thingy

Hold on

JackandDiane Mon 15-Aug-16 10:32:45

oh no this is shackers
www.amazon.co.uk/Endurance-Shackletons-Legendary-Antarctic-Expedition/dp/0747546703/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471253549&sr=1-1&keywords=the+endurance

NannyPhlegm Mon 15-Aug-16 11:47:02

Ah thanks, but I have that one (bought off a MN recommendation, so probably your post - thank you!) The book I'm thinking of was specifically on Scott.

CaptainWentworth Mon 15-Aug-16 11:50:13

There was a recent biography of Scott by Ranulph Fiennes that was very good- could it be that one?

TaraCarter Mon 15-Aug-16 13:33:32

Aha. I also lurk on the 50 books threads, and I recall Remus reviewing this 'un:

The Worst Journey in the World.

fairislecable Mon 15-Aug-16 21:53:55

The Birthday Boys by Beryl Bainbridge is a novel written about Scotts South Pole trip. This one went down very well with my book club it is a very easy read as each chapter is written by a different character.

The Worst Journey in the world is a more full and factual account.

RhuBarbarella Thu 18-Aug-16 19:55:07

The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry Garrard. That is the one. It's amazing.

CoteDAzur Thu 18-Aug-16 22:42:25

Aha yes, it's The Worst Journey In The World. You may have heard it from me but I have Remus to thank for the recommendation smile

The Worst Journey in the World is a brilliant Scott one, about the Antarctica expedition - South Pole, not North. I highly recommend it - it's a superb read.

The Bainbridge and Fiennes ones are both worth a read too, but read Cherry plus Scott's own diaries first!

Hope you love it, Nanny. Do come and report back!

Jack's Shackleton one is good too but I am firmly on team Scott. Actually I'm mostly on Team Birdie Bowers and there's a good book about him too, if anyone is interested!

Marmighty Mon 22-Aug-16 21:44:26

Also highly recommend biography of cherry apsley-garrard by Sarah wheeler, fascinating about the Explorer fever of the time, the trek, and the aftermath

Marmighty Mon 22-Aug-16 21:47:04

Oops, i meant apsley cherry garrard and it's by sara wheeler

NannyPhlegm Mon 29-Aug-16 20:32:44

Worst Journey In The World is the book I was thinking of (Thank you Remus) but I'm delighted with all the recommendations and have bought as many as I can afford. I'll update the thread to let you know how I got on with the various books. Thanks all

lamprey42 Thu 01-Sep-16 00:40:58

Great book. Hope you enjoy it. I'm off to purchase the birthday boys now. I love the book of Ponting's photos 'With Scott to the Pole' too. If anyone fancies a modern polar expedition one 'Call of the white' by Felicity Aston is about co-ordinating a Commonwealth expedition of novice women.

lamprey42 Thu 01-Sep-16 00:44:14

Oh and 'The great white south' by ponting too is another classic.

HopeClearwater Thu 01-Sep-16 01:03:51

Lovely to see so many people recommending The Worst Journey in the World. Such amazing characters - Bowers is also one of my favourites. Thank you to the pp who mentioned the Sara Wheeler bio of AC-G. Off to buy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now