recommend me a holiday read?

(10 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Thu 11-Aug-16 23:37:30

So im off camping for the weekand hoping to spend a good deal.ofy time tucked up with my kindle.

Finding it really hard to find something to download.

Want something that ill be itching to get back and read.

Anything goes but no mislit.

What is mislit?

Chottie Thu 11-Aug-16 23:44:45

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton.

It is big thick book with a really good story line, set in the present with its roots in the past. The story is told by a women who is now in her 90s, but she goes back to her youth to tell the truth of what happened when she was in service as a young girl at Riverton. There are lots of twists and turns to the plot. I've just started the final section and although I want to find out what happened, I don't want to finish the book as I've been enjoying reading it so much. smile

TheoriginalLEM Fri 12-Aug-16 00:06:26

i think its books describing miserable lives etc. Harry potter so could have gone tgat way with him having to live under the stairs. .... that sort of thing, just withoutvthe wizards

TheoriginalLEM Fri 12-Aug-16 00:07:26

sounds very much like the soert of thing i used to enjoy.not read anything like that for a while.

Oh, Misery-literature? Gotcha.

squidgyapple Fri 12-Aug-16 11:53:20

Hi- recently read The Taxidermist's Daughter by Kate Mosse, it's a good read, better than her Labyrinth stuff.

The Past by Tessa Hadley is really good - family dynamic stuff but done really well.

Have also read the Night Manager - worth reading even if you've seen the TV series as there is a lot more detail and it differs quite a bit, esp the ending.

IHeartHoumous Fri 12-Aug-16 16:00:42

I'm on Robert Galbraith's (although we probably all know 'him' by a more famous name...) Cormoran Strike book 3, 'Career of Evil', and have really enjoyed it so far along with books 1 and 2. Good thrillers with a host of colourful suspects and witnesses.

For more comical fiction try John Niven's 'The Sunshine Cruise Company' - although some parts not for the faint hearted and hope you don't mind the odd swear word or ten...

Enjoy your break.

Clawdy Sat 13-Aug-16 18:10:59

Black Rabbit Hall by Eve Chase is a good read. And The Butterfly Summer by Harriet Evans. Really enjoyed both of those when I was on holiday.

fatowl Sat 13-Aug-16 19:17:27

I second the recommendation of the Cormoran Strike books- very readable

Also enjoying Shardlake (I just finished the third one)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now