Neil Gaiman - tell me your favourite book

(42 Posts)
PseudoBadger Mon 25-Jul-16 08:54:40

I avoided him for ages (no idea why?!) and on recommendation I've read The Ocean at the End of the Lane and loved it. What should I read next?

SlinkyVagabond Mon 25-Jul-16 09:00:28

Sandman. It's a long (expensive, they dont even come cheap second hand) slog, but worth it. (It's a graphic novel btw, in case you are averse. If not his stint in Animal Man is good too) American gods. The graveyard book. Neverwhere.
Loves me a bit of Neil. Have you tried China Mieville?

cdtaylornats Mon 25-Jul-16 09:07:37

I liked American Gods and I am generally not a fan. Gods is in the process of becoming a TV series.

MachiKoro Mon 25-Jul-16 09:14:24

American Gods.
Just fantastic.
I liked Stardust, Anansi Boys too.

walruswhiskers Mon 25-Jul-16 09:20:45

The Graveyard Book and coralline are both written for children but fab for adults too.

hazeyjane Mon 25-Jul-16 09:21:50

American Gods, Neverwhere, Sandman series.

Love Neil Gaiman

MrsJoeyMaynard Mon 25-Jul-16 14:00:29

Loved American Gods.

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 25-Jul-16 14:02:43

Stardust is utterly beautiful and vividly memorable.

Neverwhere is one of those rare books which has made me think about things slightly differently ever since. It's magical. In all the ways.

I really didn't like The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I'd been looking forward to it for ages and found it crashingly disappointing. Put me off him for a while and I usually lovely him! hmm

Enb76 Mon 25-Jul-16 14:16:04

Love Gaiman. His children's books are pretty awesome too. I'd do Neverwhere, Stardust and the Graveyard Book.

puddock Mon 25-Jul-16 14:20:41

I'm very fond of Good Omens (that he wrote with Terry Pratchett), and yes Sandman is fantastic.

superwormissuperstrong Mon 25-Jul-16 14:23:43

Only read his Good Omens book and it's still up there as one of the best books I have read - proper laugh out loud. Every time I am on the m25 I still think of it as a low level anti - prayer wheel even now causing misery and rage to thousands!

hawthornknitter Mon 25-Jul-16 14:40:28

Have only read American Gods, Neverwhere and Good Omens and loved all 3.

puddock Mon 25-Jul-16 15:17:18

So do I superworm smile

PerspicaciaTick Mon 25-Jul-16 15:19:09

Neverwhere...although my heart truly lies with Good Omens.

danigrace Mon 25-Jul-16 16:42:53

I loooved Ocean at the End of the Lane! Would echo Graveyard Book (which you'll love if you loved OATEOTL), & Neverwhere. Others are all great too but those are my 3 particular faves of his.

Titsalinabumsquash Mon 25-Jul-16 16:45:08

Stardust.

Not the film adaptation though, that was awful.

TheHobbitMum Mon 25-Jul-16 16:49:10

Sandman!

Branleuse Mon 25-Jul-16 17:20:27

ive only read neverwhere, but i really enjoyed it

jongleuse Mon 25-Jul-16 17:46:59

Coraline & other stories (my favourite) or Stardust. Smoke & Mirrors is another good short story collection. Graveyard Book great for adults and 10+. If you have younger children, Fortunately the Milk or Odd & the Frost Giants. Some of his picture books are lovely too. In fact, IMO his writing for children is his best stuff...

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Mon 25-Jul-16 17:50:32

Another vote here for American Gods, its one of those books that is just beautifully crafted and mind grabbing. Coralline is good but utterly utterly creepy.

Enb76 Mon 25-Jul-16 17:51:15

The Wolves in the Walls is one of his picture books - it's fantastic. I'm such a fan that I went to see him at a book signing and talk. The queue was massive. He read from Fortunately the Milk which is one of my daughter's favourites.

iklboo Mon 25-Jul-16 17:54:30

American Gods - after seeing the trailer for the to series I'm pretty hopeful. It's a book I keep gong back to.

Neverwhere is so good. The people & place names are clever.

Stardust is better than the film

Anansi Boys is good too.

Love Good Omens with Terry Pratchett.

iklboo Mon 25-Jul-16 17:54:46

*going

BatmanLovesMarmite Mon 25-Jul-16 19:06:50

Another vote for Good Omens here too. One of my favourite books smile

NotCitrus Mon 25-Jul-16 19:43:30

Good Omens, American Gods, Sandman (and then the Sandman Companion to tell you about all the bits you missed).

The TV version of AG looks wonderful. Coraline and the short stories are seriously creepy and I don't like them much, but the above have enough levity that it's balanced.

And the illustrated Stardust is just wonderful and beautiful. The film wasn't bad but different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now