Need a funny read

(10 Posts)
mumoftwo1975 Sun 24-Jul-16 00:17:18

As the title says really.
Years ago enjoyed the shopaholic series but need a proper good giggle out loud kind of a book to get stuck into quickly.
Prefer daily life/school life/mum life etc
Enjoy haphazard goings on but not particularly wanting biographies/autos etc Can anyone recommend anything please?

babynugget Sun 24-Jul-16 00:26:29

Anything by Nick Spalding. Every single book of his has made me laugh out loud - and that has never happened with any other book ever. His 'From both Sides' series follows a couple through meeting, marrying, having a child, etc. and they are just genius. Seriously give them a try!

MermaidofZennor Sun 24-Jul-16 06:07:11

David Sedaris's books are very funny - non-fiction, collections of short pieces which are mostly observations about his life and that of his partner and family.

The Tent, The Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy. I listened to this on audio book and it was very good.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 24-Jul-16 07:33:13

It's not daily life/mum life at all but I always recommend Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series for a laugh out loud read.

cdtaylornats Sun 24-Jul-16 09:06:28

Gervase Phinn's series about the little village school is funny and 3 for £6
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=612153&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&searchTerm=little+village

Bill Brysons travel books are funny and informative - A Walk in the Woods is a good starter.

Ohlalala Mon 25-Jul-16 20:44:10

Second Sedaris and Bill Bryson
Also Sue Townsend's Adrian Mole series (the latest books are about him as an adult).
Maybe less your cup of tea:3 men in a boat?

mumoftwo1975 Tue 26-Jul-16 07:48:13

Thankyou all some great sounding suggestions. I've reserved a few from one of the nearer libraries so I'll bob down later to have a mooch. Thanks again x

chocoshopoholic Tue 26-Jul-16 07:51:45

I found Miranda Hart, is it just me, laugh out loud funny.

TaraCarter Tue 26-Jul-16 09:48:09

I was just reminded by another thread of Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

It may or may not be your cup of tea, but I remember sniggering to myself all the way through, and I still reread it sometimes.

Ohlalala Wed 27-Jul-16 20:55:55

I just thought of Angela's ashes by McCourt, and Catch 22 by Heller

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now