Any Agatha Raisin fans? where do I start ?

(14 Posts)
ichoosesleep Mon 18-Jul-16 13:37:01

I would like to make a start on these books but does it matter where I begin? I see she has written since 1992 but there has been more recent novels too. I'm making a trip to the asda later and I'm guessing they will only have a few to choose from but do I actually need to be getting the very first one if I've to work my way through them ? That's if I like them at all wink

MermaidofZennor Mon 18-Jul-16 16:25:46

The Quiche of Death is the first one. That's where she retires, moves to the Cotswolds and encounters the first murder case. I have to admit it's the only one I've read, thought it a bit lightweight - I like my murder stories less cosy, more gritty, but it was pleasant enough. Nothing really to dislike, good beach reads.

steppemum Mon 18-Jul-16 16:40:15

You can read each one alone, but there are story lines that wander through. I read the first couple, and then picked up one that was about 5 books alter and discovered an ex husband who hadn't even existed in the previous books!

It would be worth getting the first couple from the library/amazon, as they do tend to make the rest make more sense.

They are very lightweight though. I like them as a go to sleep book when I am stressed, but there is very little substance to them. I bet they would make great 30 minute TV. In fact they remind me a lot of Murder She Wrote.

CrossfireHurricane Mon 18-Jul-16 16:42:32

Try The Book People
I think they do the books in collections of 10 for a reasonable price.

cdtaylornats Mon 18-Jul-16 21:05:48

She also wrote the Hamish MacBeth stories.

seagulldown Mon 18-Jul-16 21:13:19

For the pp who mentioned that it would make good TV, I believe there is a series on Sky 1 now. I don't have it so disappointed that I can't watch it yet.

ichoosesleep Mon 18-Jul-16 23:37:30

Thankyou everyone! Yes the book people are currently doing 20 books for £20 which is brilliant and the works are apparently doing 3 books for £5 on hers too! I went to waterstones and bought the very first one and quite enjoying it. Very different to what I have been reading recently , game of thrones, divergent , girl on a train. Needed something a bit perkier but still enticing. Plus with the books being a lot thinner it's easy to carry around and get through one every few days too smile

CrossfireHurricane Tue 19-Jul-16 21:51:32

smile
Great news

KatsutheClockworkOctopus Fri 22-Jul-16 13:14:10

I've just started the series and like them more than expected - cosy and undemanding but quite good fun.

I really am struggling to like James Lacey though - he seems very unkind to Agatha. In the latest one I read it says that he likes her when she's "quiet and crushed" I was thinking - red flag Agatha red flag (too much Mumsnetsmile)!

ichoosesleep Fri 22-Jul-16 13:24:01

Katsu I've just started the vicious vet and I'm so glad the first book wasn't a one off I love this one just as much ! I think il get to around book 4 and then start watching the tv series from the beginning. Is the episodes the same as the books ?

KatsutheClockworkOctopus Fri 22-Jul-16 13:36:06

I haven't seen the series yet, but was thinking of having a go with the Quiche of Death pilot episode. The casting in the TV series isn't how I imagined the characters though.

ichoosesleep Fri 22-Jul-16 14:42:03

Yea that's why I usually try avoid the to characters until I've finished the books. Although I purposely googled all the characters when I was reading game of thrones as there was so many names I couldn't keep up !

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Fri 22-Jul-16 14:46:03

I've read all of them from the beginning. If you've got a kindle you can get quiche of death for 99p and they do s bundle of the first 4 I think for a knock down price.

KatsutheClockworkOctopus Fri 22-Jul-16 15:38:49

I was the same with Game of Thrones. I veer between longing for the next book and wondering if I can be bothered to relearn who everyone is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now