Please recommend me a good fantasy book with some romance thrown in

(74 Posts)
LiveLifeWithPassion Sat 02-Jul-16 20:31:15

I want proper escapism - a fantastical world with a romantic relationship as part of it too.

Anyone recommend anything?

Sleeperandthespindle Sat 02-Jul-16 20:53:54

Not really fantasy - but have you tried Jody Taylor's 'Chronicles of St Mary's'?

cdtaylornats Sat 02-Jul-16 21:41:58

Kim Harrison series about The Hollows - 1st in the series was Dead With Walking.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

strawberrypenguin Sat 02-Jul-16 21:43:50

Was coming on to say Daughter of Smoke and Bone but have been beaten to it! Really recommend it's a great trilogy.

Felascloak Sat 02-Jul-16 21:45:28

Just came on to say daughter of smoke and bone
Or Anne Bishop Black Jewels
Robin Hobb Assassin trilogy has some romance and is generally the best fantasy series ever, but the romance isn't the central plot so it might not be romantic enough.

CharleyDavidson Sat 02-Jul-16 21:45:56

Magic Bites. A series of books by Ilona Andrews. Funny, strong, romance thrown in (but not in a cheesy or x rated way). Excellent.

Second the suggestion for St Mary's books. Just One Damned thing after another is the first.

And I did like the Kim Harrison ones too.

Also, if you don't mind your romance a bit more sexy then the 'Grave' books by Darynda Jones are excellent and also very funny. First Grave on the left (or right, I can't remember) is the first book of the series of 10.

ItchyFoot Sat 02-Jul-16 21:46:56

Trudi Canavan's black magician series.

TrionicLettuce Sat 02-Jul-16 21:49:48

The Fool's Gold trilogy by Jude Fisher is entertaining, verging on the the cheesy, with a fair amount of romance in it.

RiverTam Sat 02-Jul-16 21:54:01

Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) books by Charlaine Harris

Ben Aaronavitch Rivers of London series

LizzieVereker Sat 02-Jul-16 21:54:18

The Discovery of Witches series by Deborah Harkness is good. Not too soppy IMO.

LizzieVereker Sat 02-Jul-16 21:55:18

Oh yes RiverTam, I loved the Rivers of London books.

Iwantagoonthetrampoline Sat 02-Jul-16 21:56:14

Ali shaw. The man who rained and /or the girl with glass feet. Both beautiful, magical, strange stories. Just reminded me I think he has a new one out recently too :-)

LilithTheKitty Sat 02-Jul-16 21:56:46

Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson?

IAteSomeofthePies Sat 02-Jul-16 22:07:06

I came to recommend Ilona Andrews, but CharleyDavidson beat me to it. Live the Magic Bites series, but also the Edge novels and the Innkeeper ones.

We've got similar taste, Charley but I do find the written English accent in the 'Grave' series hard to take.

LiveLifeWithPassion Sat 02-Jul-16 22:08:56

Thank you! I've read Rivers of London. Great books.
I don't know any of the others mentioned so I'm off to have a browse...

Emma4991 Sat 02-Jul-16 22:12:03

The name of the wind by Patrick rothfuss

IAteSomeofthePies Sat 02-Jul-16 22:12:06

Oops, sorry, it's the other 'Grave' series, by Jeaniene Frost, that has the Dick van Dyck like accent!

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Sat 02-Jul-16 22:12:35

Elizabeth Haydon Rhapsody series. Off now to see if they have it on kindle.

LurcioAgain Sat 02-Jul-16 22:12:43

I quite liked this one - good world-building, a coherent magical framework to the story and lots of Machiavellian court politics, with an engaging romance too:
Bride to the Sun

IAteSomeofthePies Sat 02-Jul-16 22:15:31

Also Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series, but the first was not my fave, so don't be deterred.

TaraCarter Sat 02-Jul-16 23:44:52

The Cold Magic series by Kate Elliott. Totally and utterly fantastically imagined, detailed world, and a well-fleshed-out romance on top.

I actually cried a bit at the end of the last book, because there was no more left. I truly had an appreciation of what "five stars" meant. The downside of that is that reading other books in the same genre since has felt like watching Muffin the Mule on a very small television after a cinema trip to see the première of Toy Story.

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 02-Jul-16 23:47:28

I came on to suggest discovery of witches and daughter of smoke and bones.

Both good books, also like the black magician trilogy mentioned.

LiveLifeWithPassion Sun 03-Jul-16 11:18:01

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. They all sound like exactly what I'm looking for and have ordered 5 so far.
I'm going to have to order the others later.

TenarGriffiths Sun 03-Jul-16 14:35:32

I'm reading The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff at the moment and really enjoying it. It's about a young woman who's part of a large magical family. If you enjoy fun urban fantasy then I'd recommend this.

Whereareyousleep Sun 03-Jul-16 14:50:33

I second Kelley Armstrong good series and plenty to go at

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now