Just finished reading "Katherine"; by Anya Seton

(11 Posts)
fatowl Fri 01-Jul-16 14:08:25

I loved it,
I read a lot of historical fiction (Philippa Gregory, Bernard Cornwell etc)
How have I only just got around to reading this now?

I loved it - not a short read, but I read it in just over a week and found myself in tears at the end (and I'm not usually a crier!)

Anyone else? Can you recommend any of her other books? Why isn't she better known?

JulesJules Fri 01-Jul-16 14:19:29

I loved Katherine too! Read it years and years ago, and went on to read a lot of her others. Think some of her books were out of print for a while.

Devil Water, My Theodosia, Green Darkness, - all good reads!

3littlefrogs Fri 01-Jul-16 14:32:50

I read a lot of her books when I was in my teens.
For me, Avalon was one of the most haunting and heartbreaking.

GandolfBold Fri 01-Jul-16 19:57:33

It's one of my favourites too. If you like it you should try some of Sharon Penman's books,they are just as brilliant, especially the Welsh ones.

Farmmummy Sat 02-Jul-16 00:34:04

I loved it, my mum recommended it after I was informed as a uni student that she'd thought I'd be a boy and been surprised so I'd been named after her favourite book. I also like Sharon Penman and if you have read Philippa Gregory's Cousins war books you might like Sharon Penmans The Sunne in Splendour. I love anything to do with the wars of the roses but this is my favourite. I also liked some of

DramaAlpaca Sat 02-Jul-16 00:36:33

Katherine is my favourite book ever.

My copy used to belong to my grandmother, it was her favourite book too.

fatowl Sat 02-Jul-16 01:15:11

Thanks for the recommendations

I've read the Sunne in Splendour and most of the Phillippa Gregory ones.
Couldn't understand how Katherine had slipped under the radar!

OrlandaFuriosa Sat 02-Jul-16 01:23:01

It's truly wonderful, although some if the history is not quite right, eg Katherine was the older sister. But some if the historians who have written about her only do because of the book.

If you want historical fiction about non real people, have you read Dorothy Dunnett? I'm a great Lymond fan.

A v short book about a real person, is Josephine Tey's Daughter if Time. About Richard lll.

TheRoadToRuin Sat 02-Jul-16 16:54:53

Oh I loved that book, read it in the 1970s when I was a teenager. There was another called Green Darkness.

Felascloak Sat 02-Jul-16 21:53:38

Green darkness is also great. I love them both. I know all my plantagenet history from Katherine smile

MaQueen Sun 10-Jul-16 17:28:55

If you like Anya Seton you will worship Rosemary Hawley Jarman. Her historical books are just achingly beautiful, her prose is better than most poetry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now