books about changing lives?

(10 Posts)
JontyDoggle37 Thu 16-Jun-16 07:15:04

Hi, wondering if you lovely ladies might have some recommendations as I'm struggling to find books on Amazon that interest me lately. I read a lot of novels, but right now I'm after something uplifting, about a person or people making a big change in their life and maybe learning to do/be something completely new. Modern fiction but not vacuous 'chick lit' where they seem to paint the women as incapable and needing rescue all the time! I realise that's very specific, but hoping the collective MN brain will have some ideas!

DarlingCoffee Fri 17-Jun-16 05:14:35

Eat Pray Love?

JontyDoggle37 Fri 17-Jun-16 05:24:31

Ooh just looked that up it sounds perfect thank you!

MermaidofZennor Fri 17-Jun-16 05:39:09

You might like Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I liked Eat, Pray, too.

Nospringflower Sat 18-Jun-16 12:58:43

I really like Wild and I also liked the Summer Book by Tove Jansson - its a beautiful cover as an added bonus! Feel I know Eat Pray Love already so would love other suggestions for uplifting books?!

bbpp Sat 18-Jun-16 14:42:39

You might like Veronika Decides to Die, a little morbid but seems to fit what you're after in a round-a-bout way. I did find it uplifting.

RupertPupkin Sat 18-Jun-16 15:03:44

She's come undone, by Wally Lamb. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be a bit disgusted.

Findmuck Sat 18-Jun-16 15:15:16

Agree with bbpp Veronica decides to die. Not the most light hearted book but reaffirms how precious life is.

Nospringflower Sat 18-Jun-16 15:26:02

I loved Veronika decides to die in a weird sort of way!

AristotlesTrousers Sun 19-Jun-16 18:44:07

I realise it's technically 'chick lit', but 'Rachel's Holiday' by Marian Keyes is very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now