Any recomendations please?

(5 Posts)
Comingfoccacia Mon 13-Jun-16 21:25:17

Looking for some literary inspiration. I read quite a wide range of genres though not keen on chick lit or those crime scene type ones. I love reading John Irving, Anne Tyler, Haruki Murakami and Iris Murdoch and other contemporary fiction. Also love travel writing (News From Tartary by Peter Fleming my all time favourite). Would love to have your recommendations!

MermaidofZennor Mon 13-Jun-16 23:03:14

Have a look through the 50 Book threads on here. You'll find masses of recommended books on there and then you'll be back moaning that your tbr pile is out of control - like the rest of us grin. Seriously, though, I've picked up loads of ideas from there.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Tue 14-Jun-16 02:40:52

Have you tried Gerald Durrell's books?
The serious travel ones are fascinating, and the ones with his family in, telling about his childhood, are hilarious.
Gervaise Phinn is good for literal "laugh out loud" autobiography too, but be warned his fictional "all the lonely people " is heartbreaking so don't get them mixed up!

KateInKorea Tue 14-Jun-16 02:49:44

I am currently reading part 5 of Kanausgaards 'My struggle' series. I adore it, and feel sick of the thought that there is only one more part.

Part 1 is called A Death In The Family.

For travel(ish) writing. The narrow road to the deep north, or Oscar and Lucinda. Maybe Bill Bryson or Michael Palin?

tripfiction Tue 14-Jun-16 09:24:05

In which case you might like Maggie O'Farrell's This must be the place, as it is a good story, well written, with lots of travel.

The last book I read was Eden Gardens by Louise Brown which I really enjoyed - set in Calcutta at the end of the Raj, really well written and just a good story. And it just transports you in time and place....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now