Wool - by Hugh Howey anyone else read that?

(21 Posts)
Pipbin Sun 05-Jun-16 17:45:49

Anyone read the sequel?
Just this minute finished Wool and bought the sequel immediately!

TheSecondOfHerName Sun 05-Jun-16 17:48:10

Yes, I really liked them.

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sun 05-Jun-16 17:53:09

Yes, I read all of them years ago and loved them.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sun 05-Jun-16 17:58:02

Yes, I found it totally absorbing and also enjoyed the sequel and prequel. I liked quite a few of his books, except for the Molly Fyde books which started well but I (literally) lost the plot around book three or four and had no idea what was going on or why.

Pipbin Sun 05-Jun-16 18:07:49

I've only just found them. Glad it sounds like the sequels are worth the effort.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sun 05-Jun-16 18:12:58

There are also books that have been written by other authors set in the Wool universe. I've read a few of them, some were good, some not so great. I can't remember which were the good ones now.

HappydaysArehere Tue 07-Jun-16 09:33:08

Is Wool science fiction? Got a feeling I looked at it and it seemed to be set in some imagined world.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Tue 07-Jun-16 13:55:36

It's post-apocalyptic sci-fi. It's set inside a huge silo that goes many floors down from ground level.

ClashCityRocker Thu 09-Jun-16 21:03:21

I read it, but wasn't overly keen - found it a bit predictable and didn't warm to any of the characters.

mizu Thu 09-Jun-16 21:48:02

Loved these books.

PomBearWithAnOFRS Tue 14-Jun-16 02:49:39

I did try, but by the time I got so far through the first one, I realised that I didn't actually give a shit what happened to any of the characters. They can all die in their silo for all I cared and I gave up confused
I still can't understand why so many people seem to rave about the story!
It was trite, cliched, and unoriginal...

evilgiraffe Tue 14-Jun-16 03:11:36

Yes, I liked it. The next two books are okay too, but the first is probably the one I like best.

Howey's other book, Sand, I also enjoyed, though there are a few plot holes (even for me, I'm usually a bit hopeless at noticing such things).

Trills Sat 18-Jun-16 08:54:23

You will find that the sequel is quite different.

I really enjoyed it but it's a different style of storytelling.

iamdivergent Sat 18-Jun-16 19:53:29

Loved the Wool Trilogy and Sand was good too.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 20-Jun-16 19:18:43

Yes I have, although there was a fairly huge plot hole that bothered me a lot.

DesolateWaist Mon 20-Jun-16 21:32:44

What huge plot hole? I must have missed it.
I did find it rather 'obvious' but I still enjoyed it.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Mon 20-Jun-16 21:33:57

TELL ME THE PLOT HOLE

Sand was a fun read too.

DesolateWaist Mon 20-Jun-16 21:47:00

I didn't understand how she could swim given that she had most likely never seen much more than a bowl of water before.

I've just started on Sand but I might leave it until the summer when I can pay real attention, simply too busy now.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 20-Jun-16 22:07:00

Ummm..... I can't quite remember blush

I think it was that the main character (I can't even remember if it was a man or a woman) got to the other silo, in the first book they'd mentioned that it was over a century or summat since they'd heard from them aside from the message to say they were all dead...yet there was first generation teens in there?

I dunno I'm probably misremembering it but it irked me at the time!

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 20-Jun-16 22:10:09

Loved the first book, liked the second, disappointed with the third because it was supposed to explain everything but the eventual explanation never seemed very believable.
Good point about plot hole re swimming.

MrsSimonNeil Mon 20-Jun-16 22:14:11

I really enjoyed this series, in fact I started re reading it again recently. It's not the most well written book in the world but I really enjoyed the plot and found it quite tense in parts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now