I love crime thrillers, any recommendations?

(28 Posts)
insan1tyscartching Tue 24-May-16 19:22:03

I'm an avid reader so quickly go through books. Have only recently discovered that I enjoy crime thrillers particularly if set in Great Britain anyway. Have read pretty much all Val McDermid, working my way through Reginald Hill and have recently discovered Ian Rankin so what are your favourites? Have a Kindle and an Audible subscription but really love the experience of going out and buying an actual book.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 24-May-16 19:25:19

Ruth Rendell writing as Barbara Vine.

Crumblevision Tue 24-May-16 19:26:21

Randall Wood's Jack Randall series is very good. I have recently started Lynda La Plante's Anna Travis series which I am really enjoying. Also Tony Parsons Max Wolfe series which, again, imo is very good.

Crumblevision Tue 24-May-16 19:27:11

Ah just re read your OP - Randall Wood's books above are based in the US

Greydog Tue 24-May-16 19:28:32

Andrea Camilleri's Montalbano books. I've enjoyed every one of them

Xmasbaby11 Tue 24-May-16 19:29:13

Yes I love Lynda laPlante! And Barbara Vine. They have both written loads so that should keep you busy!

Greydog Tue 24-May-16 19:29:13

oh - sorry - they're set in Sicily!

mrsronswanson Tue 24-May-16 19:29:15

Stuart MacBride - very dark humour. I can't recommend his books enough. They are set in and around Aberdeen and have such flawed but likeable main characters.

insan1tyscartching Tue 24-May-16 19:36:37

Very happy with any recommendations though, will try those set further afield too as it's always by reading something that was out of line with what I'd read previously that I find something else I like.
Have read a couple of Lynda La Plante Bloodlines and Twisted and enjoyed those so will find more of hers. Have a British Heart Foundation charity shop that has a huge selection of books so like to go in with some authors in mind and see what they've got.

SweetieDrops Tue 24-May-16 19:37:54

Anything by Christopher Brookmyre.

bookbook Tue 24-May-16 19:42:38

May be something here smile
Peter Robinson
James Oswald
Ann Cleeves
Peter May
Mark Billingham

AgeOfEarthquakes Tue 24-May-16 19:45:12

The Cormoran Strike novels by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) are very good.

Cathpot Tue 24-May-16 19:45:36

Can I offer two slightly left field options is you don't mind tryin something that's not usual gritty contemporary setting? The Dr Siri series (Colin Cotterill) is about an aging pathologist in Laos , pestered by spirits and despairing of the communist regime. They are gentle but well written and quirky murder mysteries. There is also the shadrake series-( CJ Sanson) big chunky tomes of books set in the Tudor times. Hunchback lawyer solving murders and trying to keep his head down and avoid catching the eye of the King or his cronies. Pacey and a nice twist on the usual format. Both of these are easy comfort reads.

Then there is a book called Norwegian by night by Derek Miller which is a contemporary setting but the hero is a old possibly slightly senile man thrown into a murdetous chase scenario. Really good.

Cathpot Tue 24-May-16 19:46:42

Apologies for spellings - not ideal on literary thread....

ironingbrew Tue 24-May-16 19:47:17

I've recently discovered Phil Rickman. His stories have lots of supernatural elements, but the biggest monsters in his novels are human.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 24-May-16 19:47:57

I've just read Burnt Paper Sky.
It's very good.

HalsallRedux Tue 24-May-16 19:48:54

Denise Mina. Wonderful Scottish writer.

timetobackout Tue 24-May-16 19:50:59

Tom Wood ,featuring Victor the assassin a more sympathetic character than he sounds.

insan1tyscartching Tue 24-May-16 19:55:07

Oh wow thank you flowers this is fantastic,lots and lots of options.Will save the recommendations on my phone so that I have them with me whilst I'm browsing the shops.

MashesToPashes Tue 24-May-16 19:56:49

Minette Walters is a favorite of mine, especially The Ice House, Acid Row and Fox Evil.

MakingJudySmile Tue 24-May-16 19:58:33

The Cormoran Strike novels by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling) are very good.

Just finished the first of these and really enjoyed it.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 24-May-16 19:59:45

Minette Walters- she is a brilliant writer. Lots of books by her.

RomComPhooey Tue 24-May-16 20:08:21

Not British, but the Martin Beck series by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo (sp?) is really good. They were a Swedish wiriting duo, husband & wife, who alternated writing & editing each other's chapters, seamlessly. Though written in the 60s, the books are really modern in feel & - in crime fiction evolution - marked the transition from lone gumshoe detective protagonist to more collaborative team-based policing. They are really, really good. You can sometimes pick up the 10 book boxset from The Book People for peanuts.

EmmalinaC Tue 24-May-16 20:10:17

Yes, there are some great Scandinavian crime/thriller writers - Stieg Larsson and Jo Nesbo are favourites in this house.

Itsabeautifuldaytosavelives Tue 24-May-16 20:13:29

Not British but Chris Carter is great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now