The Shepherd's Life - brilliant!

(10 Posts)
EmGee Sat 14-May-16 20:53:18

Has anyone read this? By James Rebanks. Just finished and couldn't put it down. Such a brilliant read and you don't need to know a lot about sheep to enjoy it!

MermaidofZennor Sat 14-May-16 21:14:39

DH has just read this and enjoyed it very much. It's on my tbr pile now smile

susannahmoodie Sat 14-May-16 21:51:43

I read this last weekend. I'm finding I'm enjoying this type of nature writing genre atm. I loved the way he wanted to portray the Lake District from the point of view of the people who live and work there rather than the romantic ideal.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 15-May-16 20:15:28

Read it twice, it's brilliant. We go to the Lake District a lot and it's made me think of it in a different way.

His twitter blog is very good, too.

lk26 Sun 15-May-16 20:17:01

I live near James Rebanks and see him out and about. Loved the book too. Need to read the Herdwick book next when it comes out in paperback.

cressetmama Mon 16-May-16 12:54:36

Isn't it wonderful? Loved it so much that when I finished, I went right back to the beginning to re-read it, than sent it to my mum, who has done the same! Also thought it was a marvellous view on education and how it affects people.

I believe my mum is going to suggest it to her book group; for which she feels slightly intellectually under-powered, despite being better read than 95% of the population.

cressetmama Mon 16-May-16 12:55:52

lk26 please say to JB that his book is my book of the year!

lk26 Tue 17-May-16 20:06:36

Will do. He had just had his book made into a play at the theatre by the lake in keswick. Using puppet sheep. Sadly sold out really quick so missed it angry

annandale Tue 17-May-16 20:12:08

Yeah I really liked it and passed it straight to dh. I'd picked it up in a bookshop and read the bit about oxford which put me off a little but the book as a whole is beautiful and important.

ShyGirlie Tue 17-May-16 22:25:49

Loved it. Also his second one. Follow him on instagram and twitter too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now