Looking for some recommendations

(5 Posts)
Workinzzz Thu 05-May-16 11:40:28

I love the Inspector Montalbano books, mainly because I fancy the actor, and the books go in to detail at his delight during meal times and describe what he's eating, combined with the descriptions of the beautiful or not so beautiful Sicilian surroundings.

I tried the Donna Leon books set in Venice and they are alright. Its not that I am solely interested in crime novels per se, just that I like to read about stories set in beautiful or different places ( I really enjoyed the shadow of the wind set in Barcelona) and love food! I also really like the Khaled Hosseini books.

Can anyone recommend any books that I might like?

tripfiction Sat 07-May-16 18:00:14

Oh yes, definitely! I think Montalbano beats Donna Leon generally....

You could try the Elena Ferrante series set in Naples.

Then, Inspector Chopra set in Mumbai www.tripfiction.com/crime-mystery-set-in-mumbai/

Barcelona - Max Camára series by Jason Webster and Pepe Carvalho series by Manuel Vázquez Montalbán

France - The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George... www.tripfiction.com/nina-george-novel-set-france/

You might like Patricia Sands' novels set in the South of France - romance and lots about locale and food.

Workinzzz Sun 08-May-16 07:44:02

Thank you so much tripfiction- they sound great! smile

recall Fri 20-May-16 13:37:47

Come Not When I Am Dead by R.A. England

This is set in the Devon countryside, and the descriptions really take you there - you can smell it.

Workinzzz Fri 20-May-16 13:48:50

Thanks recall!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now