Recommend me a beautiful book

(23 Posts)
TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 02-May-16 16:53:57

I've still got book vouchers from Christmas unspent - most unlike me, normally I would have been straight up to the bookshop hoovering up novels. But we recently did a serious declutter of books as we really needed the space and since then I've been trying to buy fiction on my Kindle to stop the house filling up again (and making the whole hand-wringing, heart-rending exercise completely pointless.)

So I've saved my Christmas vouchers to buy a special book, a lovely book - not necessarily fiction, although that's what I normally read. Something to pore over and savour and be glad to own in hard copy. Only thing is, when I've been to browse, Waterstones is full of two-for-ones and teetering piles of ideal book club reads and it seems loveliness is in short supply. So I think I may need to order it in, whatever it is.

Any suggestions?

LaLoca007 Mon 02-May-16 17:10:14

I don't know about beautiful but at book club we just read Bloody Jude by Blanca Leigh - a new age 50 Shades - we all loved it as it offered two very erratic protagonists - a false sense of romantic chic lit 2 start then spiced with a more sinister domestic noir undertone... And let's not talk about the racier scenes! Was a hit at book club!
We read the free sample from Amazon first along with another few n then voted to download this one!!! We didn't regret it although not everyone loved it!!!!

If a bit of chic lit with a sprinkle of domestic noir is not for you, what about a Gabriel Garcia Marquez book? His books are always beautiful. Love in The Time of Cholera my favourite.

Enjoy!

VikingVolva Mon 02-May-16 17:15:15

Do you want something recently published, or would you prefer a beautiful edition of a classic?

If the Folio Society takes the kind of vouchers you have, you can find lovely editions there.

www.foliosociety.com/shop?gclid=CIuv68nku8wCFSQW0wodrmEIEg

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 02-May-16 17:15:48

Thanks LaLoca but the first really doesn't sound what I'm looking for at all, and GG Marquez I've read (his were among the books that were decluttered.)

I'm really looking for something that is a lovely thing, as well as agood read - something that works because it's in print in a way that an ebook can't.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 02-May-16 17:19:39

Viking, that's exactly the kind if thing I'm after, thank you. I've no idea if they'll take book vouchers (will have to email them). For some reason I thought you had to be a member of the Folio Society rather than being able to buy individual volumes.

HolgerDanske Mon 02-May-16 17:19:50

All my Puny Sorrows, by Miriam Toews.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Mon 02-May-16 17:20:36

Why not go for a 'picture book'? I have one that's about The Sound of Music and it has information about the film and interviews and film stills, but it also has photos of postcards the children sent home, bits of annotated scripts, concept drawings for costumes etc.

It really wouldn't work as an e-book, so maybe something like that?

84 Charing Cross Road
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
A gorgeous copy of a classic - Jane Austen would get my vote, or Neville Shute's A Town Like Alice.
Or a lovely cookery book - Madhur J's World Vegetarian is gorgeous.
A lovely children's classic - Ballet Shoes or Tom's Midnight Garden or something.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 02-May-16 17:22:21

Have you read The Goldfinch? It's a book which stays with you and im glad I read it.

Also really enjoyed The Night Rainbow recently.

WidowWadman Mon 02-May-16 17:25:15

Drawing Blood by Molly Crabapple has lots of great illustrations and is a good read (artist's autobiography - maybe look her up first to see if it's right for you)

notagiraffe Mon 02-May-16 17:27:55

How about Carol Ann Duffy's hardback copy of Rapture - her collection of love poems? They're brilliant and the book itself is very beautiful. Poetry is good because you can return to it more often than you would a novel.

sooperdooper Mon 02-May-16 17:28:55

The snow child, Eowyn Ivey
Burial Rites, Hannah Kant

Or if you've never read it, Beloved by Toni Morrison is the most heartbreaking but stunning book I've ever read

WidowWadman Mon 02-May-16 17:29:17

Also, look at graphic novels, eg Polly Symonds' Gemma Bovery or Tamara Drewe, Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis, Becoming Unbecoming by Una, Fun Home by Alison Bechdel, all lovely books which need to be printed to work.

The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty that has been beautifully illustrated by Chris Riddell

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 02-May-16 17:33:17

Wilma Cather's My Antonia is the one book I would save in a fire. The feeling of space and possibility I get from it makes it very special to me.
I'd nip back in for my Raymond Briggs collection if time allowed.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 02-May-16 17:34:39

Ooh loads of lovely suggestions. Poetry and picture books are a great idea - I will take a look at those recommended. I pored over The Fox and the Star at Christmas and I'd like something like that only for grown-ups, if you see what I mean.

HolgerDanske Mon 02-May-16 17:36:46

Oops. I really should have read the whole of the OP. My suggestion is just a beautifully written book, not an actual beautiful book...

Sorry!

ApocalypseSlough Mon 02-May-16 17:58:37

Do you like Judith Kerr?
This is beautiful.

louisagradgrind Sun 08-May-16 13:42:25

The Bedford Hours. Lovely to look at.

SatsukiKusakabe Sun 08-May-16 15:09:43

Yes to, My Antonia, had that on the name shortlist for my dd because of that book, but I have a husband hmm

Something I read recently that would be good to have in a beautiful copy was The Luminaries as it has zodiac charts and maps in it and was slightly annoying to read on the Kindle as a result, but an exquisitely intricate book.

I would have Pride and Prejudice, Anna Karenina, Ariel by Sylvia Plath, War and Peace, Middlemarch in nice hard copy editions.

daisydukes34 Sun 08-May-16 15:36:07

We were liars by E.Lockhart. Beautifully written with a surprising and upsetting twist.

Lucydogz Wed 18-May-16 23:25:10

Persephone publishes beautiful paperbacks.
The Vagabond by Colette is the most beautifully written book I know - as long as you get the right translation. There's a terrible one on amazon by a American author which kills the book.

Majorlyscared1993 Wed 18-May-16 23:27:53

Perks of being a wallflower. And don't watch the movie, it was fucking dreadful. grin

rach792 Sun 22-May-16 20:03:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now