Help me decide which one to read first. I am Pilgrim, Paying Guests or God in Ruins?

(17 Posts)
DoItTooJulia Wed 13-Apr-16 18:32:44

I bought all three based on recommendations here. I wanted Wilkie Colin's Woman in White but it was £15!! So next time I pass a charity shop, I'll be looking for it!

It's just a bit of fun really, but which one should I start with??

Quogwinkle Wed 13-Apr-16 18:37:58

I've read A God In Ruins and The Paying Guests and enjoyed both. Have you read Life After Life? If not then recommend reading that before A God In Ruins. My order of preference would be A God In Ruins followed by The Paying Guests, and then onto I Am Pilgrim (which is sitting in my tbr pile smile) Hope you enjoy them. I'm a total fan of Sarah Waters now, ever since reading Fingersmith (which is brilliant), and have Tipping The Velvet lined up to listen to on audio book soon.

Laquila Wed 13-Apr-16 18:42:02

I loved I Am Pilgrim! Sort of trashy, but great.

I've read Life After Life and enjoyed it, but not God in Ruins.

DoItTooJulia Wed 13-Apr-16 19:00:50

Yeah, I've gone for easy reads. Glad I am pilgrim fits that bill!

Do I need to read Life after Life for A God in Ruins to make sense?

DoItTooJulia Wed 13-Apr-16 19:01:02

*before

highlandcoo Wed 13-Apr-16 19:12:48

Yes, definitely. Life After Life is excellent. Read it first.

The Paying Guests is really good too.

Haven't read I Am Pilgrim yet but planning to soon.

DoItTooJulia Wed 13-Apr-16 19:16:30

Right, OK, what a shame, I'll have to buy that too wink

Clawdy Wed 13-Apr-16 19:54:09

God in Ruins was wonderful. I was disappointed with The Paying Guests, as I loved all Sarah W's previous novels.

Quogwinkle Wed 13-Apr-16 20:33:16

Life After Life was really enjoyable. Rather than it being a shame that you need to read it first, it will be a treat that you now have an extra book to read smile

You can read A God In Ruins as a stand alone book but it would be even better having read Life After Life first.

southeastdweller Wed 13-Apr-16 20:53:24

Agree it would be best to read Life After Life before reading A God in Ruins. I loved A God in Ruins and The Paying Guests and envy you reading them for the first time.

wigglesrock Wed 13-Apr-16 22:30:23

I've read the Paying Guests and I am Pilgrim from your choices. I really enjoyed the Paying Guests, flew through it, was a really good read. I loved I am Pilgrim, really loved it - I bought it for my Dad on a recommendation from a MNetter. He was recovering from major surgery and wanted something engrossing but not pretentious or navel gazery. It fitted the bill grin. We both sat up like eejits in the hospital fighting over who got to read it!

DoItTooJulia Thu 14-Apr-16 07:47:17

Quog it was tongue in cheek!

Movingonmymind Thu 14-Apr-16 09:54:38

Not read I am Pilgrim, but recommend Life after Life (read first) and highly recommend Paying Guests (by far her best work, I'd say)

SatsukiKusakabe Thu 14-Apr-16 10:20:05

I haven't read the others but Yy read Life After Life first. You don't need to, but it would possibly increase your enjoyment of God in Ruins, and why not? smile

KeithLeMonde Fri 15-Apr-16 17:22:30

Personal opinion is that I Am Pilgrim is a bit of a sunlounger book (lots of plot but a bit silly) whereas the other two are curl-up-on-a-wet-night treats smile So depends on your mood (and yy read Life After Life first)

SatsukiKusakabe Fri 15-Apr-16 18:04:36

Missed this first time but Woman in a White is £2.50 on Amazon paperback version and is free on Kindle (or Kindle app)

DoItTooJulia Mon 18-Apr-16 14:13:07

I can't read I am pilgrim!!! It's not my cup of tea at all!

But thanks for the tip. I've ordered woman in white!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now