New fantasy book to read

(43 Posts)
slugseatlettuce Sun 08-Nov-15 18:48:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cdtaylornats Sun 08-Nov-15 19:42:40

The Dragon Knight series by Gordon R. Dickson starting with The Dragon and the George

The Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster

Both series are light hearted in places.

dementedma Sun 08-Nov-15 19:43:43

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Brilliant

slugseatlettuce Sun 08-Nov-15 19:58:03

Gunpowder Sun 08-Nov-15 22:51:52

Have you read any Brandon Sanderson? The Mistborn books are a good place to start if not, and the Stormlight Archive is fantastic although it's a complex world to get to grips with initially.

Peter Brett's Demon Cycle is worth a look too.

SerenityReynolds Sun 08-Nov-15 22:56:03

Have you tried the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind?

AppleDragon Mon 09-Nov-15 07:00:03

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville if you don't mind a more modern/urban setting

slugseatlettuce Mon 09-Nov-15 11:46:59

Sadik Mon 09-Nov-15 12:53:21

I enjoyed Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman + sequels. It's quite light easy reading fantasy, but good characters and world building.

Gunpowder Mon 09-Nov-15 20:39:13

Agree PB was definitely off form on the last one! Rothfuss needs to write more.

slugseatlettuce Mon 09-Nov-15 21:03:03

CharleyDavidson Mon 09-Nov-15 21:07:58

I cannot recommend the Ilona Andrews 'Magic Bites' series enough. My favourite.

mrsmortis Wed 11-Nov-15 08:45:36

Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time is really good.

For a bit of a softer style I like the Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (sp?)

Or if YA is your thing I'd have a look at Sabriel and the rest of the Old Kingdom books by Garth Nix (No sparkly vampires in sight here).

Oh and I assume you've read the Pern books?

chemenger Wed 11-Nov-15 09:29:18

I was going to suggest the Pern books too, they are an enthralling series and not gruesome like some fantasy series.

I've really enjoyed "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" from the library recently, finished it and went back to the library to get the second book straight away. I haven't managed to get hold of the third one yet but it is published! They are by Liani Taylor.

slugseatlettuce Thu 12-Nov-15 07:12:27

ThreeRuddyTubs Thu 12-Nov-15 07:15:56

It's not really fantasy as such but I really love jodi Taylor. Fairly unique concept and well written. I also quite liked the Temeraire books, it's got dragons in it but again it's not high fantasy

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 12-Nov-15 07:26:05

Tad Williams is great, The dragonbone Chair is the one you want!

Achangeisadgoodasarest Thu 12-Nov-15 07:30:11

Mark Lawrence is brilliant, Broken Empire Trilogy. Also second the Laini Taylor Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, it's YA but very good.

Kettricken Thu 12-Nov-15 22:16:06

I second Brandon Sanderson, the Mistborn trilogy is brilliant.

Amara123 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:05:43

I like the Dresden files by Jim Butcher and the calderon books he did. Also patricia briggs and ilona Andrews stuff. I loved Robin Hobbs fool series, brill.

BondJayneBond Fri 13-Nov-15 17:41:43

If you're thinking of reading the Pern books, make sure you get the ones by Anne McCaffrey. I thought that the ones her son (Todd McCaffrey?) wrote were dire.

If you like urban fantasy, I'm currently reading the second book of The Skyscraper Throne by Tom Pollock and loving that.

CharleyDavidson Fri 13-Nov-15 17:49:54

I agree. The Anne McCaffrey ones are excellent. But the Todd McCaffrey ones, while readable, aren't a patch on the original.

You could read them in order of publication, or order of chronology of the world of Pern. The series started out as fantasy stories, set in the non-technological world, with a feudal system, where Dragons were bred to protect the world from a vicious but non sentient threat that came from the skies.

After a while, Anne then wrote earlier books in the series that explained the settling of the world and they were more sci-fi books.

They're fabulous books. And there's lots of them, which is always something I enjoy when I find a new series of books to read.

slugseatlettuce Fri 13-Nov-15 19:56:52

BondJayneBond Fri 13-Nov-15 20:14:33

For me, the worst bit about Robin Hobb's latest trilogy is the wait for the last book to be published. I've devoured the first 2 within the last month, and now I have to wait until next August to find out how it ends [impatient]

Loving it so far, but I do kind of wish I'd waited until next summer to start reading it so I could read them all in once without this suspense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now