All the light we cannot see - struggling!

(15 Posts)
whattodo12 Wed 04-Nov-15 10:37:34

Have been trying to get into this for the last 2 or 3 weeks - about 120 pages (out of 500) and it's all a bit slow.
Does it pick up? The reviews are sooooo good I'm suprised I'm not gripped by now!

buckingfrolicks Fri 13-Nov-15 09:27:49

it carries on being a bit slow - but once you connect with the characters then it becomes slow and deeply enjoyable. I absolutely loved it.

HappydaysArehere Sun 15-Nov-15 17:15:43

Oh! This book is lovely! My favourite read during last year. Please carry on and wait for all the links to come together. I gave this to DH and he really liked it as well. You have to suspend belief here and there but ignore such thoughts and wallow in the story. Do hope you finish it.

southeastdweller Sat 12-Dec-15 22:42:25

Also on the verge of giving up after reading 120 pages. It's just so bloody SLOW.

nebulae Sun 13-Dec-15 10:42:34

I'm listening to the audio book of this at the moment. It took me a while to get into it as well but I'm loving it now. I think it's when you begin to see where all the threads of the story are leading that you really get into it.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 22-Dec-15 22:32:10

Please don't give up! It's a very very wonderful book.

auberginesrus Fri 08-Jan-16 20:56:19

Just finished it, loved it. Hope you persevered and got into it OP.

HappydaysArehere Sun 17-Jan-16 18:06:35

Please carry on. It is my favourite book of 2015

everydayinMK Mon 18-Jan-16 08:26:50

I think you need time to enjoy the 'sweeping grandeur' of it. I tried reading it at home in between work and kids and housework and failed miserably. Then I took it on holiday and tried again whilst I had more time that worked much better.

musicmaiden Tue 19-Jan-16 14:04:40

It's nicely written but not a lot happens and god the ending is terrible.

tactum Wed 20-Jan-16 11:13:23

I had to persevere too - tis lovely though once you are absorbed

Pootle40 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:57:26

It is slow but I am enjoying it. 150 pages to go. Could see it becoming a film in the vein of The Pianist.

Cooroo Mon 02-May-16 10:52:57

I wonder if the OP persevered? I didn't find it slow at all. I think if you're not enjoying it that far in then it isn't the book for you. I loved it - yes there are historical inaccuracies and a big mathematical blunder near the end - but they don't detract from the beauty of the book, and the horror of it. Sorry I've read it so late - most threads now zombified!

BaconAndAvocado Tue 03-May-16 22:10:32

We've just discussed it at my book group and it's probably the book which has generated the most talk in our 6 year history!

clairet144 Wed 04-May-16 11:02:15

I agree with you I found it a little slow to begin with but once I got in to the characters I was hooked - The writing is so lovely and descriptive one of the best books I have read in ages!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now