Career of evil

(34 Posts)
The80sweregreat Sun 25-Oct-15 12:42:56

Downloaded on day of release as I like the two main characters and wanted to find out if Robin finally ditches the dreadful Matthew.
I did enjoy it - at least the author didn't go on too much about Cormoron's leg this time and I did find it easier to follow than the Silkworm.
A bit far fetched that Strike has turned out as well as he has really - with his background its a wonder he didn't end up behind bars himself.
I do enjoy her books though - I hope there is a book four soon. What did others think? ( read a few reviews and mostly positive)

JasperDamerel Sun 25-Oct-15 13:31:46

I haven't read it yet. I can't afford to buy it, so am waiting for my turn with the library copy. Is Robin's terrible secret revealed in this one?

hackmum Sun 25-Oct-15 13:38:51

I've just finished it. Cracking read - couldn't put it down.

Yes, Robin's terrible secret is revealed.

The80sweregreat Sun 25-Oct-15 13:41:39

Yes, we hear more about Robin's past.

RumAppleGinger Tue 27-Oct-15 20:12:24

Just finished it. Nearly missed my stop on the way home I was so gripped by the final chapters.

I'm really enjoying this series. This was the best so far in my opinion.

BlueBrightFuture Tue 27-Oct-15 20:17:32

Waiting for the Kindle price to come down a bit. I liked the 2nd book but did not think the first one is all that great to be honest. Anyway looking forward it.

The80sweregreat Wed 28-Oct-15 08:27:31

I liked the Cuckoos calling. Silkworm not as much as i know nothing about Jacobean revenge fiction! This was a good 3rd inslalment. I wonder who would play a good Cormoron on film?
Robin let me down a bit at the end though!

RumAppleGinger Wed 28-Oct-15 19:40:11

I guess we'll find out pretty soon as apparently the BBC are dramatising The Cuckoo's Calling. I have a decent picture in my head of what 'my' Strike looks like but cant think of an actor who fits it.
Although she's not brittish I always picture Deborah Ann Woll as Robin.

The80sweregreat Wed 28-Oct-15 20:30:49

Hmm, i bet they ruin it ! Cuckoo is a fairly complicated plot for TV, lots of chat and loads of characters. I can think of a few they will cut out ( lulas real mum for starters! ) who would play lula?
They didnt do a great job of the casual vacancy..

JasperDamerel Wed 28-Oct-15 20:47:15

Someone suggested Rory McCann for Cormoran, and I think he'd be quite good.

Ouch44 Sat 07-Nov-15 00:25:22

Yes, I can see that Jasper.

My Robin looks a bit like Rosamund Pike.

SheSellsSanctuary Sun 13-Dec-15 22:18:39

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've just finished reading and I have a couple of questions about the ending. However, I don't want to post spoilers - what's the MN etiquette, please? smile

Quogwinkle Mon 14-Dec-15 06:38:23

Will your question contain spoilers for other readers? If not, then just ask. If it might give away plot details then head it up in bold *CONTAINS SPOILERS*. That should be enough warning smile. I read it a few weeks ago _ will try to help, if I can remember enough detail.

gingercat12 Wed 30-Dec-15 18:37:05

Anyone online to chat about it?

We all think these are Cormoran Strike novels, but this one turned out to be really about Robin. I really liked how she found her inner strength, but similarly to The80sweregreat I expected a different ending.

It was hilarious to read about the Royal Wedding as history. Especially from Strike's point of view because I never understood the fuss about it.

JasperDamerel Wed 30-Dec-15 18:46:48

I got it for Christmas. I'm enjoying it so much that I don't want it to end, and am 80% of the way through and am rationing myself to little snippets so as to prolong the pleasure.

gingercat12 Wed 30-Dec-15 20:58:49

Jasper I was the same, but sadly finished today. It totally shows how much fun JK Rowling is having.

The way the book ended, can't wait for the next one, but I cannot say how it could continue.

JasperDamerel Thu 31-Dec-15 17:00:57

I just finished it! I was right about the killer smile

The80sweregreat Wed 06-Jan-16 12:11:29

I cannot wait for the 4th book now, although not sure what else she can do with the characters. Matthew will put pressure on Robin to have children I think...
The snippets about the royal wedding in 2011 are funny, he is so clueless! I do like him though - would be a character I would like to meet in real life.. ( I know its only fiction..!) I always think of his dad as Mick Jagger..

gingercat12 Wed 06-Jan-16 12:51:24

You are right. Who do you think the other rock star is? The one who got away from Leda.

SPOILER

Also will they ever work together or will she join the police?

angemorange Wed 06-Jan-16 13:07:57

Loved this book and can't wait for the next smile

Finished it yesterday. Overall, I enjoyed it - thought it was far better than, 'The Silkworm' which I absolutely hated. Still overwritten and in need of editing, especially the sections from the viewpoint of the killer, which all got rather tedious, and I agree that the ending (ie after the killer has been caught, not the revelation) wasn't what I was expecting, or indeed hoping for.

I hate tedious, twatty Matthew.

Love Strike - I think he's a great character.

JasperDamerel Thu 07-Jan-16 20:35:20

I think she's got her job back (they have clearly both forgiven each other), but a terrible start to marriage - she was in two minds about it in the first place, and she will be utterly furious with Matthew when she discovers that he concealed the call from Cameron.

JasperDamerel Thu 07-Jan-16 20:37:40

I actually liked the final couple of page - I thought it was awkward, created all sorts of tangly problems for the future, but showed just how important Robin and Cormeron are too each other, regardless of what they say.

*****************Spoiler alert******************************

Yes - it definitely sets things up nicely for the next batch of, 'Will they / won't they?' - wedding ring or not!

gingercat12 Thu 07-Jan-16 22:43:27

But would Robin want her job back? It is highly unlikely they will have a heart to heart and discuss the phone call. Strike always made a point of never making any disparaging comments about Matthew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now