What might I like?

(10 Posts)
KittyCatKittyCat Sat 29-Aug-15 14:41:19

Due a stay in hospital soon and would love an audiobook (or two) to pass the time. I've read a few North Korea books such as Aquariums and Nothing to Envy, really enjoyed those - anything on how other people live or have lived, factual, historic. I've read Vietnam - definitive oral history, really enjoyed that too. I haven't read anything about post WWII living in Russia or Eastern Germany, if anyone knows any good books on those?

Fiction wise have loved the Watch novels of T. Pratchett, Equal Rites, have started Tiffany Aching series but struggled with them (too young?),

Anyone think they can recommend something based on these?
Thank you

CoteDAzur Sat 29-Aug-15 15:11:57

"anything on how other people live or have lived, factual, historic"

This Thing Of Darkness by Harry Thompson is about Charles Darwin's 5-year voyage aboard survey brig The Beagle, before he published Origin Of Species. Brilliant book, where you will read about people of Terra del Fuego, aboriginals and first settlers of Australia. Brilliant book. I can't recommend it enough.

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford is the fascinating historical account of the rise of the Mongol Empire, how they influenced the laws of Europe towards what they are now, introducing different cultures to each other's inventions etc. I really enjoyed this and learned a lot.

KittyCatKittyCat Sat 29-Aug-15 18:42:25

Ooh will go look those up, thank you.

Daffydil Sat 29-Aug-15 19:02:54

I found Stasiland by Anna Funder and The File by Timothy Garten Ash fascinating (we'd just been to Berlin and I got a bit obsessed)

florentina1 Sat 29-Aug-15 19:51:08

Hilary Mantel. A Place of Greater Safety. It starts before the French Revolution when the protagonists were children. I am finding it riveting.

KurriKurri Sun 30-Aug-15 13:56:44

I second This Thing of Darkness - a brilliant book.

If you like fantasy you might enjoy Neil Gaiman's novels - I really like his writing The ocean at The end of The Lane is a good one, but he's written lots all good.

Not quite in your brief, but I've just read Do No Harm by Henry Marsh - he is a neuro surgeon and it deals with brain surgery and is fascinating (not especially gory or anything but interesting and compassionate) I also like Oliver Sacks books on psychiatry.

Again not the countries you mentioned but my BIL has just read and been recommending to me A People's History of the USA by Howard Zinn - it looks very good and is on my 'to read' list smile

Yes to, 'This Thing of Darkness.' Brilliant book, although be prepared to have your heart broken.

I enjoyed, 'American Gods' and, 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman, but absolutely hated, 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane.'

'Inside Hitler's Bunker' by Joachim Fest is a deeply unsettling but fascinating read. I recommend it highly. Also in non-fiction, 'Into the Silence' by Wade Davis is a remarkable read about Malory and Irving's attempt at Everest, but set in the context of the First World War and British Imperialism.

Also, I always recommend CJ Sansom's Shardlake series of historical who-dunnits. Incredibly well researched and gripping.

Assume you've read, 'Wild Swans'? I hated it (found it really badly written and boring), but dp and lots of others really rate it.

Sadik Sun 30-Aug-15 21:23:37

You might like 'How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed' by Slavenca Drakulic - about life as a woman in communist Yugoslavia. It's a few years since I read it - it was published in the 90s - but I remember it being a very easy and interesting read. (Out of print, but costs a couple of quid on abebooks.)
A bit different, but another really good read - Granny Made me an Anarchist by Stuart Christie. Can't think of many other books where you'd get a lighthearted comparison of being a prisoner in Franco's Spain vs being on remand in a British prison (food better in the former, but also more likely to be randomly shot without trial).

cdtaylornats Mon 31-Aug-15 09:18:24

You might like to read "Good Omens" by Pratchett and Gaimen. It will let you try Gaimen while still enjoying the Pratchett storytelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now