anyone read The Harry Quebert Affair ?

(5 Posts)
ShortandSweeter Wed 19-Aug-15 08:40:47

What did you think? Am I missing something?

IndridCold Wed 19-Aug-15 13:27:16

I read it in the original as it was a good easy read, and good practice. I (and the rest of my French group!) thought it was utter crap and bollocks. Derivative, totally unbelievable and way way too long. I cannot believe it won any prizes as it was nothing more than a beach read, and not a particularly good one at that.

< and breathe >

notnowImreading Wed 19-Aug-15 13:34:26

I'm just under half way through and finding it bizarre - wondering whether there's a problem with the translation because the writing seems so very bad. Indrid what do you think?

I'm finding the characters massively unbelievable, particularly Mrs Quinn.

IndridCold Wed 19-Aug-15 13:43:18

I haven't seen the translation notnow but the original was certainly no work of literature.

I spent the whole book wondering how Harry became one of the USA's most celebrated literary giants on the basis of writing only one book, and a rather weedy love story, with the theme of underage sex at that confused.

ShortandSweeter Wed 19-Aug-15 17:08:14

glad it's not just me. I finished it with a sense of relief rather than exhilaration or satisfaction. I do think the translation is partly responsible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now