Audio books for my almost 6 year old son

(12 Posts)
Barbiehair Thu 23-Nov-06 22:28:18

Sadly, my son has outgrown our stash of Disney and fairytale audio books we have but I'm finding it impossible to find a replacement. He hates the Horrid Henry stories and the only thing he can think of that he might like is Superman/Spiderman. Not exactly relaxing night time reading. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any idea what Stories 4 Cool Kids is like? Thanks

jodee Thu 23-Nov-06 22:50:17

Ahhh, now my 6.5 year old loves listening to the Horrid Henry audio books! He has also recently got James and the Giant Peach and George's Marvellous Medicine, which he enjoys, quite funny stories and songs, if you like Dahl and can overlook his misogynist style.

Tommy Thu 23-Nov-06 22:55:36

second Roald Dahl - some of them have got great readers. We have Hugh Laurie doing the Giraffe, the Pelly and Me and Ds1 loves it.

Aero Thu 23-Nov-06 22:55:55

My dd likes some of the Dick-King-Smith audio books. Can't remember the titles offhand, but they're available on amazon I'm sure.

Aero Thu 23-Nov-06 22:59:23

Have a look here.

Barbiehair Fri 24-Nov-06 12:47:09

Thanks for the tips. We have a few Roald Dahl stories already with intermitant success. Will look into his other stories and DKS.

Majorca Fri 24-Nov-06 23:03:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

controlfreaky2 Fri 24-Nov-06 23:04:42

martin jarvis reading the just william stories are the business!

Jaynerae Fri 24-Nov-06 23:12:13

My DS, 7 has always listened to story tapes at bedtime - and I couldn't afford to keep buying new ones - so we go to the local library - they have loads and if he picks something he doesn't like - he just switches it off and gets another one out - no wasted money. He really likes the Animal Ark stories, but you will find lots of different ones to try in the library.

LizP Mon 27-Nov-06 19:27:32

my ds's (5 & 7) love the Alex Rider stories on cd - they have Stormbreaker and point blanc at the moment but ds1 is getting the next one from his godmother for christmas (which is lucky because if I hear them in the car again I might scream!)

DimpledThighs Mon 27-Nov-06 20:26:19

we have the roald dahl set from the telegraph and my ds (7) is listening to it now. He has also really enjoyed the faraway tree, narnia, harry potter, meg and mog, charlottes web, unusual fairy stories.

LizzieCrudge Mon 04-Jan-16 23:11:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now