Recommendations please!

(9 Posts)
lastqueenofscotland Tue 28-Jul-15 11:57:22

Just finished king Leopolds ghost and a thousand splendid suns.
Favourites have been keep the aspidistra flying and a handful of dust.

I am a little bit of a book snob... But stuck as what to read next!

magimedi Tue 28-Jul-15 12:44:13

The Map of Love - Ahdaf Soueif

www.amazon.co.uk/Map-Love-Ahdaf-Soueif-ebook/dp/B0099P45QM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1438083807&sr=1-1&keywords=map+of+love

If you enjoyed 1000 splendid suns I reckon you'll enjoy this.

Have you read, 'Brideshead Revisited' or, 'Vile Bodies'?

Would you consider non-fiction?

DuchessofMalfi Wed 29-Jul-15 16:48:00

Have you read Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell?

You'll need a strong stomach for some of the descriptions of what went on behind the scenes in the Paris hotel kitchens, but it's a brilliant read, eye-opening and fascinating. Unforgettable - I read it a couple of years ago and often think about it.

Happy36 Wed 29-Jul-15 16:52:53

"The Color Purple" by Alice Walker - an astonishingly well written, thought provoking book.

"Talking Heads" by Alan Bennett - absolutely brilliant! Not a novel, a series of monologues. Similar in tone to the Adrian Mole diaries by Sue Townsend (also strongly recommended). In particular, I recommend, "A Bed Among The Lentils" and "A Chip In The Sugar".

Happy reading!

IhadsexwithanelfinIceland Wed 29-Jul-15 16:56:56

Just finished My cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier, which was fantastic. Also, Shantaram is a good read for holidays.

'A Bed Among the Lentils' is excellent.
Yes to, 'Down and Out' too.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 29-Jul-15 17:07:12

yy to the Alan Bennett - in fact anything by him smile Have you read his two volumes of (sort of) memoirs/diaries, Writing Home and Untold Stories? They are excellent. He's also written quite a few short stories/novellas too, which are all enjoyable.

tobee Thu 30-Jul-15 12:19:48

My favourite Waugh books have been his travel books; Labels, 92 Days etc. Also Sword of Honour Trilogy although that is fiction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now