kindle summer sale -top reads

(15 Posts)
2fedup Thu 09-Jul-15 17:46:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 09-Jul-15 18:35:43

You could try Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel, perhaps?

EleanorRugby Thu 09-Jul-15 19:30:00

From the summer sale I have read and would recommend:
The Floating Brothel
Half of a Yellow Sun
Wild Swans
Memoirs of a Geisha
American Wife

I am planning to buy Station Eleven , Ghostwritten by David Mitchell and maybe The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle by Kirsty Wark. Has anyone read this? There's not a lot else that takes my fancy

southeastdweller Thu 09-Jul-15 20:20:17

I recommend:

Anita and Me - Meera Syal
I, Partridge - 'Alan Partridge'
Bedsit Disco Queen - Tracey Thorn
The Lemon Grove - Helen Walsh

I bought You, Ghostwritten, and Chris Evans's first memoir.

GetHappy Thu 09-Jul-15 23:16:42

so far I have brought "the shock of the fall" and "still Alice". Have both been on my wish list a while now.

I really want to buy more but my tbr pile is constantly growing!!

highlandcoo Fri 10-Jul-15 13:45:28

Eleanor I read the Kirsty Wark book recently and whereas it's readable it's not in the same league as the others you mention.

I had to read it for book club otherwise I probably wouldn't have chosen it. It's a time-lapse novel and I avoid them like the plague. Having said that, she tells a decent story and her evocation of Arran is excellent - she obviously loves the island and knows it well. It made me want to go back and visit a place I haven't spent time in since I was a child. For me, the book was worth reading for that alone.

There's a point where she loses the plot and lapses into Mills and Boon territory for a couple of pages. I'm not selling this well am I? grin The love story is pretty unoriginal tbh. I did wonder whether her editor had told her to spice it up and hence the lapse into cliched writing .. having watched KW on Newsnight it just didn't seem her style. It's a mixed bag overall.

2fedup Fri 10-Jul-15 16:54:55

Calfon Fri 10-Jul-15 18:05:38

Would you mind posting the link to the summer sale. I have searched and searched and cannot seem to find it.

2fedup Fri 10-Jul-15 18:16:14

EleanorRugby Fri 10-Jul-15 18:57:05

Thanks for your detailed review highlandcoo. I must admit time lapse novels annoy me as I feel they have been done to death. No you're not really selling it to me but I am grateful for your honest reviewsmile
I'll not bother to buy it especially as I have so many other ebooks and paperbacks waiting to be read!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 18-Jul-15 22:08:01

There are a couple of your suggestions I think I might download too smile

DuchessofMalfi Sat 18-Jul-15 22:16:32

Have bought The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng. Looks very interesting.

Matilda2013 Thu 13-Aug-15 12:40:19

My wish list from the summer sale consists of:

1. Still Alice -Lisa Genova
2. How I lost you - Jenny blackhurst
3. After the crash - Michael bussi

I did have Diane chamberlain -the good father on the list but it appears I've already purchased and read this... Luckily I have a brain that forgets hopefully this will cure my book buying addiction and I can just keep re-reading the same books!

I loved Eeny Meeny by m j Aldridge and Jodi Picoults The Storyteller too!

southeastdweller Thu 13-Aug-15 21:49:02

After the Crash was utter shite, sorry to say. Wouldn't even recommend it as a library loan.

Matilda2013 Thu 13-Aug-15 22:14:53

Was it? Ugh I just purchased it on my kindle today since I'm off work sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now