Does anyone know this book set in the world od horse racing? Warning - contains a very vague description.

(12 Posts)
birkiekid Sun 07-Jun-15 12:39:10

I read it when I was a teenager. It might be YA fiction, not sure as I had free run of the library and used to read from every section. It is based in the racing world and I think the main character was a young woman and part of it is about a jockey (possibly a real life person but it isn't a biography). I remember a part about the jockey trying to lose weight for a race.

I've been doing some googling but I don't have enough to go on.

Thanks

Rivercam Sun 07-Jun-15 12:43:27

Dick Francis writes a lot of books set in the racing world.

What sort of book was it - romance? Detective?

birkiekid Sun 07-Jun-15 12:47:48

It definitely wasn't a thriller or detective, maybe a romance. I read it nearly 30 years ago. Sorry for being vague.

OneHandFlapping Sun 07-Jun-15 12:50:43

Jilly Cooper? Riders? Although I'm not sure that's 30 years old

OneHandFlapping Sun 07-Jun-15 12:51:47

Jilly Cooper? Riders? Although I'm not sure that's 30 years old

Rivercam Sun 07-Jun-15 12:54:35

National Velvet - this was a popular film.m I guess there was a book version also.

Black beauty?

Scissor Sun 07-Jun-15 12:54:51

Rupert Cambell-Black..omg am having palpitations at the memory. Riders is 1985 so bang on 30 years old.

OneHandFlapping Sun 07-Jun-15 12:55:06

Sorry for the double post.

Actually it was published in 1985.

Scissor Sun 07-Jun-15 12:56:08

You could loosely call it a romance!!!

Rivercam Sun 07-Jun-15 12:59:00

I haven't read Riders for ages. I think I'm going to have to read it again, for research purposes to see if it's op's book, ...![ blush]

HarrietVane99 Sun 07-Jun-15 12:59:13

Might it have been by K.M. Peyton? She wrote quite a lot of horsey books and I think I vaguely remember there was one about a jockey.

birkiekid Sun 07-Jun-15 12:59:42

I've found it!

It was Dear Fred by KM Peyton. I knew it wasn't a Flambards book so dismissed KM Peyton but out of no-where I remembered the jockey was named Fred and that led me to it.

I wonder if it was any good. I remember it quite fondly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now