Please recommend an easy, light, happy-ended book...

(8 Posts)
DoctorShoe Tue 12-May-15 19:04:59

that is still somewhat compelling.

I'm on holiday from a seriously tough time at work, and have read a few darker novels recently. I do rather a lot of reading in general.

Please recommend something nice. smile

Thanking you in advance.

Becca19962014 Tue 12-May-15 20:49:29

I found "the wives of bath" by Wendy Holden to be light, funny in places and a happy ending type of book.

It isn't my usual reading but is one ive taken away on holiday when ive wanted something light and easy to read.

DoctorShoe Wed 13-May-15 07:51:11

Thanks, I'll give that a go. smile

hackmum Wed 13-May-15 08:25:26

"Funny girl" by Nick Hornby. I read this when it came out last year - not sure why everybody isn't raving about it! It's a wonderful light, comic read.

highlandcoo Wed 13-May-15 16:57:56

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (Persphone books) is the one I give to friends going into hospital for a cheerful read.

Alternatively Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday is light and happy; some of it is written in the form of an email exchange which I normally dislike but it was OK in this book.

Thin Air by Sue Gee is about love later in life. Well written and heart-warming. I really like her books.

And I always enjoy Diary of a Nobody. Never fails to cheer me up.

Hope you feel restored soon smile

DoctorShoe Wed 13-May-15 18:02:59

Ooh, I've a bit of a list building up!

Thanks everyone.

I read and liked Salmon Fishing, so I think I trust your other suggestions. smile

antimatter Thu 14-May-15 06:35:29

The last letter to my lover and Horse rider by Jojo Moyes

southeastdweller Thu 14-May-15 07:26:48

Not Quite Nice - Celia Imrie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now