ISO a funny book of letters between friends called Mary and Martha

(10 Posts)
BellaBearisWideAwake Sat 09-May-15 11:48:01

I can't find this anywhere, probably because the names lead to biblical books and sites. If anyone knows the title or the author I would be very grateful! Here's what I remember:

It was a series of letters from one of Mary or Martha to the other. The letter writer is a housewife with two or three teenage children. The letter recipient is a lesbian and doesn't have kids. It possibly was called Dear Martha but I may have imagined that. It also may have started as a Guardian column, but I may have confused it with Dulcie Domum or Treasure. It was very funny. It was probably written in the eighties. I read it in the early or mid nineties so it may have been later.

Slim chance but does anyone know this book?

BabCNesbitt Sat 09-May-15 11:51:53

Was it Letters from a Fainthearted Feminist? Jill Tweedie?

BellaBearisWideAwake Sat 09-May-15 11:53:16

Oh my goodness yes and I think I love you!!!

BabCNesbitt Sat 09-May-15 11:54:44

grin You're welcome! I found it in a charity shop a few months ago and then passed it back on to one, but there might be cheap copies on Amazon.

BellaBearisWideAwake Sat 09-May-15 11:59:18

One second hand copy on amazon!

DuchessofMalfi Sat 09-May-15 12:54:15

I remember reading that years ago - it's brilliant. I loved it smile

If you like epistolary novels then I'd recommend Letters from Constance by Mary Hocking. You might enjoy that one too.

antimatter Sat 09-May-15 13:01:35

I read hilarious book (impossible to search for it anywhere) with a title @

just one character - 'at' ...

it was made up of emails sent between employees of one company

BellaBearisWideAwake Sat 09-May-15 13:15:47

thank you!

hackmum Sun 10-May-15 11:29:42

Oh gosh. I actually remember the Guardian column (that's how old I am!) Had completely forgotten about it.

While I'm at it, it's really worth reading Jill Tweedie's autobiography, which is a great read.

BellaBearisWideAwake Sun 10-May-15 20:16:16

Ha so it WAS a guardian column. Thought so.

Book is on the way from a second hand seller. Looking forward to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now