ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Maternity Leave books

(5 Posts)
RaisinGirls Fri 21-Mar-14 15:06:26

Ive just started maternity leave and have 3 weeks to my due date. As this is my first baby, I know this is probably the last time for a decade or more that I will get a chance to sit and read all afternoon, and I want to really enjoy the time. Does anyone have recommendations of books I can read. Nothing too taxing as I am getting quite tired these days. Books I have recently read and enjoyed - to varying degrees include -

Kiss me first
Apple Tree Yard
Sisterland
This Child of Mine
The girl with all the gifts
Bedsit Disco Queen
Love, Nina
The Chameleon
The Safest Place

I also really enjoy crime fiction and have read all Karin Slaughter, Halen Cobhan, Michael Connelly, Lindward Barclay, Val McDermid, Peter Robinson, Elly Griffiths and probably some others who I can't quite remember. So any other quality crime fiction writers you know, please do recommend.

Loopylu84 Fri 21-Mar-14 15:08:05

Try Lars Keppler for some good crime fiction smile Kathy Reichs is also great, also Tess Gerritsen

RaisinGirls Sun 23-Mar-14 09:59:12

Thanks. Ive read a lot of the earlier Kathy Reichs - are the later ones as good or does it get all Patricia Cornwelly crap?! I had forgotten about Tess Gerritsen - there are a few there I haven't read!

Cheboludo Sun 23-Mar-14 12:29:13

Congratulations! I hope you get plenty of rest in the next few weeks.

I've been saying it everywhere but Alex by Pierre Lemaitre is the best crime/thriller I've read for a very long time. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty is also really good.

If you like Pride and Prejudice, Longbourn by Jo Baker is excellent.

Enjoy your afternoons reading.

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now