ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Gone Girl, hate everyone

(76 Posts)
sooperdooper Tue 24-Dec-13 22:47:23

So I've just started Gone Girl, thought it'd be a fun nice easy read and I've heard it raved about but tbh I'm a few chapters in and I hate all the characters and find it pretty irritating, is it worth carrying on with??

I liked it but hated the characters. The ending was a bit meh but not sure what would have been a satisfying one.

Definitely download The Hand That First Held Mine. I reread it the other day and had a good cry in the bath.

howmuchworse Wed 25-Dec-13 22:02:24

I read a lot and rarely abandon a book, but I got to the end of this and wished I'd given it up!

MisguidedHamwidge Wed 25-Dec-13 22:02:27

I really enjoyed this. It's not the sort of book I normally go for but I found it fast-paced - more like watching a film than reading a book.

We were on holiday when I read it though & I find most books brilliant on holiday as there is actually time to read most of the book in one go without constant interruptions.

Sunnysummer Thu 26-Dec-13 05:40:12

Sp glad I've found other haters! I read halfway, hated everyone, skipped to end, thought it was stupid, deleted from Kindle and read Terry Pratchett's new one other literary fiction instead.

difficultpickle Thu 26-Dec-13 10:30:24

I liked the ending of the Snow Child precisely because it gave you a choice. I've just finished reading the Apple Tree Yard (Jan's MN bookclub book) and the ending of that is frankly irritating.

Love, Nina is this week's Book of the Week on Radio 4.

Another book I liked which I thought was funny and quite quirky is The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared. That is this week's Book at Bedtime on Radio 4.

SkiSchoolRun Thu 26-Dec-13 10:33:47

Awful book

CaptainTripps Thu 26-Dec-13 23:00:09

Well I liked it!

Jackthebodiless Thu 26-Dec-13 23:17:12

It's rubbish op. Step away from it. Life's too short.

JingleJohnsJulie Fri 27-Dec-13 17:22:29

Total rubbish. Just read something else instead.

Caitlin17 Sun 29-Dec-13 01:15:12

I hated it. The characters were awful and the plot line seemed bleedin obvious . I didn't finish it.

MrsIgglePiggle Sun 29-Dec-13 21:44:38

Gone Girl is my favourite book of all time ! I think Gillian Flynn is a genius, but I'm obviously as disturbed as one of her characters perhaps ?

sooperdooper Fri 03-Jan-14 21:54:54

Well I started so I finished, and I wished I've never bothered grin

There's bits that aren't tied up properly at the end, spoilers alert for anyone who hasn't read it

I thought there was going to be some big revelation about his dad, nobody asks her about the gun which she didn't buy, surely she'd have had to have his permission to go to the clinic, she didn't want kids anyway?? Oh there's more but it's just all a bit pointless and smug and there's grammatical errors too that irritated me

I was expecting a much more of a dramatic ending, I'd thought up loads of alternative endings and was disappointed, well some of you did tell me!

SongYee Fri 03-Jan-14 22:22:31

Truly dire. Was so disappointed in this after all the hype. Badly written and with the silliest plotline of the year, if not the decade.

LondonNinja Fri 03-Jan-14 22:27:38

If you haven't read After You'd Gone by Maggie O'F, you are in for a treat. Beautiful.

Trills Fri 03-Jan-14 22:39:08

I was inspired by this thread to re-read, and I rather enjoyed it.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Fri 03-Jan-14 22:41:41

It's an ok read grin. You're meant to hate all the characters! It's a page turner and valid as such, and I like GF when she does America gone to seed stuff... But her gender politics are a bit dodgy.

Crowler Mon 06-Jan-14 09:41:33

I loved Gone Girl.

normalishdude Mon 06-Jan-14 19:22:29

I thought it was good. Her book ' Sharp Objects' is better IMO. I like her style.

Crowler Mon 06-Jan-14 19:42:28

I didn't like Sharp Objects... the one where she is notorious right?

I can see how she might veer into tediously sardonic.

Southeastdweller Wed 08-Jan-14 06:34:21

Too many stupid implausibilities in this book undermined it. But I hated Amy, and I mean with a passion, which I think is an achievement. Sounds odd but I felt violent towards her! I wouldn't have minded pushing her down the stairs in RL. Even now just thinking about her I get annoyed!

MikeLitoris Wed 08-Jan-14 06:48:45

The film is being made now. Ben affleck as Nick Dunn.

I think it will be a better film than book. Although I didmt dislike the book. It felt like she had written it with a film in mind though imo.

I much preferred dark places and sharp objects.

FreakinScaryCaaw Wed 08-Jan-14 06:53:13

I loved it. I didn't warm to any characters but I think I liked his sister? Was a while ago that I read it.

I heard they were making Gone Girl the movie?

Trills Wed 08-Jan-14 08:17:27

I imagined Nick as Teddy from Nashvile

Crowler Wed 08-Jan-14 08:46:26

I'm pretty sure Nick is going to be Ben Affleck.

Trills Wed 08-Jan-14 08:47:35

Oh yes, he is they've already started filming, and Rosamund Pike as Amy, I'm just saying who he was in my head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now