ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Can anyone recommend a Fantasy nover for somebody who loves Tad Williams, The "Game of Thrones" books, Terry Pratchet, etc.

(17 Posts)
justkeeponsmiling Sat 30-Nov-13 14:28:19

I'm looking for a Fantasy book/author as a Christmas present for my Stepdad. He really enjoyed the authors mentioned above and reads a lot of Fantasy stuff in general, so the more obscure and lesser known the better!

Bogeyface Sat 30-Nov-13 17:19:23

What about Robert Rankin Armageddon: The musical?

It is the first book of the Armageddon Trilogy.

JollySeriousGiant Sat 30-Nov-13 17:21:09

I love Robert Rankin.

Also Robin Hobb's Farseer books.

ValentineWiggins Sat 30-Nov-13 17:23:08

Janny wurts curse of the mist wraith series ..there's 10 or so published and 2/3 to go! Absolutely brilliant!!!

DisappointedHorse Sat 30-Nov-13 17:24:34

Second Robin Hobb.

Other good reads have been:

Trudi Canavan Black Magician and Age of the Five
Guy Gavriel Kay Tigana and Fionavar Taprestry
Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy

DisappointedHorse Sat 30-Nov-13 17:25:48

Also Brandon Sanderson Mistborn series.

All of these are popular though so he may have read them.

justkeeponsmiling Sat 30-Nov-13 19:37:05

Fantastic, thank you all so much! I'm going to check these out. I really want to find an author he doesn't know yet as I know he'll be excited. You've been really helpful, cheers smile

pointyfangs Sat 30-Nov-13 21:45:07

CS Friedman's Coldfire trilogy - it is brilliant.
KJ Parker's Fencer trilogy - also brilliant in a completely different way.

Both should be obscure enough, I hope. grin

I second Guy Gavriel Kay but wouldn't limit myself to just Tigana and the Fionavar Tapestry - though the latter is more traditional fantasy. All his stuff is amazing.
Robin Hobb is great too, it is worth looking up some of the work she wrote as Megan Lindholm.

justkeeponsmiling Sat 30-Nov-13 23:01:33

pointyfangs the more obscure the better, thanks grin

Heartbrokenmum73 Wed 04-Dec-13 21:57:21

I say this every single time but Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Book 14 (the last one) is due in paperback in January (I think), so that's a complete series.

They are epic and wonderful and fantastically well-written. I am currently on Book 11 for the second time. I have previously read up to the end of Book 13 and now need to re-read the lot before I read the last one because they are so intricate. They do not disappoint.

I would also second anything by Robin Hobb, but definitely start with The Farseer Trilogy (as said upthread).

Joe Abercrombie is dark but good.

marceline Sun 15-Dec-13 13:42:42

Patrick Rothfus King Killer Chronicle. I think it's the best fantasy series I've read in a long time. Unfortunately it's a trilogy and the last instalment is due next year!

Also, Stephen Lawhead has several brilliant historic celtic fantasy series - Pendragon - about the arthurian legends - very good, and Hood - brilliant version of the Robin Hood story.

Trills Sun 15-Dec-13 14:23:30

Everything I was going to say has already been said!

Trills Sun 15-Dec-13 14:24:08

With Robin Hobb DO read the Assassin books, DO read the Fool books, read the Liveship books if you like, but DO NOT read the Soldier Son books

Teladi Sun 15-Dec-13 14:29:31

I love all of those, and I vote for 'The Lies of Locke Lamora' by Scott Lynch!

I also loved Pantomime by Laura Lam this year - it's a debut novel from a smaller publisher so chances are he might not have read it?

JollySparklyGiant Sun 15-Dec-13 19:22:34

I agree with Trills. I tried to read the Soldier Son series but it was just grim and I conceded defeat. It is not often I give up on a book.

mimiasovitch Sun 15-Dec-13 20:34:53

I second marceline's suggestion. The Patrick rothfus books are tremendous. I'm a little anxious about the wait for the 3rd instalment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now