Your recommendations please

(13 Posts)
mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 27-Jul-13 15:02:45

A very kind friend gave me the gift of an Amazon voucher to spend on books for whilst I'm waiting for baby / breastfeeding at my baby shower last night.

I would love to have some recommendations for things I can download to my kindle. I enjoy all sorts of books. Things I have particularly enjoyed are: The Farseer series by Robin Hobb, Game of Thrones, anything by Philippa Gregory. I recently read Edward Rutherfurd's London which I also enjoyed.

I also enjoy good books aimed at teens - loved the Hunger Games series, and recently read the Carnegie shortlist, of which my fave was Code Name Verity. Basically, I like a gripping plot, and likeable characters.

Any recommendations heartily welcomed. Thank you smile

valiumredhead Sat 27-Jul-13 15:25:12

The girl on the landing by Paul Torday

maillotjaune Sat 27-Jul-13 17:22:41

I've just read Dissolution, the first in a series about Matthew Shardlake. Lawyer working for Thomas Cromwell, investigating murder at a monastery. Really enjoyed it.

When I was up at night breastfeeding DS3 I read the whole Wallander series - I don't normally read crime novels but I stayed awake because I really wanted to find out what happened and was too tired to concentrate on anything more literarysmile

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 27-Jul-13 18:53:34

Thank you valium, have downloaded a sample of that one.

Maillotjaune, I've read all of the Shardlakes, they are absolutely brilliant - loved them. In fact dh hid my kindle on one holiday as I wouldn't be parted from them!

Oooh, I might give Wallander a go in that case - kindles didn't exist the last time I was up all night breastfeeding, but can see how it'd be easier to read and feed with a kindle, so I'll give it a try smile

valiumredhead Sat 27-Jul-13 19:14:09

Have you read The Poison wood Bible?

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 27-Jul-13 19:21:54

I have - I loved it, although couldn't get on with her latest one at all.

valiumredhead Sat 27-Jul-13 19:24:10

Oh I've not read it.

My cousin Rachael

Tide line is good.

Currently reading Nutmeg

tumbletumble Sat 27-Jul-13 19:27:03

If you like Philippa Gregory, have you read Wolf Hall?

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 27-Jul-13 21:26:57

Yes, I have tumble, and found it a bit of a challenge to get through, although I did enjoy it. MIL has lent me Bringing Up the Bodies, which I might take on hols with me.

INeedALieIn Sun 28-Jul-13 11:03:40

I just stayed up half the night finishing "ketchup clouds". Supposedly a teen book but I absolutely loved it.

A teen with a terrible secret, so she writes to a man on death row.

I sobbed buckets.

ThursdayLast Thu 01-Aug-13 15:32:49

Have you read 'The Fault In Our Stars' by John Green?
Aimed at a teen audience I think, but one of the most moving books I've ear in a while.

PurringLioness Thu 01-Aug-13 18:26:06

Try ' Emerald' by Rosemary Smith. Is aimed at young adults and over, great plot, lots if exciting stuff and some really quirky characters - won't say too much, will spoil the surprise!

AnonYonimousBird Thu 01-Aug-13 18:50:03

Some Philippa Gregorys are currently 99p on Kindle, though you may have already read them of course.

And I'll second The Fault In Our Stars. Magic.

Ineedaliein - I've got Ketchup Clouds, wasn't sure what to make of it, but I think I may have to read it soon after what you've said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now