ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

audio books

(10 Posts)
missesjellybean Wed 24-Jul-13 11:11:41

hello smile. I'm looking for some audio book suggestions for my very long and boring commute to work
I like funny chick lit like Janet Evanovich (not a 50 shades kinda girl)
not too hard core crime and thriller...don't like to be scared too much

I like autobiographies/ biographys of interesting people not Jordan / Jodie marsh type people...more like Audrey Hepburn

can anyone recommend any good audio books please grin

babybythesea Wed 24-Jul-13 17:14:49

I love Bill Bryson's audiobooks - I've got his one on Shakespeare and "A short History of Nearly Everything" both read by the author. Can really recommend the short history - DH doesn't do audiobooks, scoffs at me for listening, and then I caught him listening to it while decorating....
The travel ones are good too. I have ones read by Kerry Shale, but these are heavily abridged, although he's a fantastic reader.

Do you do classics? There's some good versions of things like Jane Eyre around.

I also have this www.amazon.co.uk/Rebecca-Daphne-Maurier-Read-Fielding/dp/B005O78XS0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1374682444&sr=8-6&keywords=daphne+du+maurier+rebecca+cd - Rebecca, which I love.

babybythesea Wed 24-Jul-13 17:20:22

Oh, and there is The Lord of the Rings, done as an audio 'play' by the BBC which is fantastic, if that's your sort of thing. www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Return-King-Vol/dp/0563536594/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1374682601&sr=8-14&keywords=lord+of+the+rings+cd
This is the third one - I have the box set of all 3 but don't have time to search - sorry.

And an Agatha Christie box set here www.amazon.co.uk/Agatha-Christie-Audio-Box-Set/dp/B0041UM8Z0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374682722&sr=1-1&keywords=agatha+christie+box+set+CD

Tommy Wed 24-Jul-13 17:22:35

I've been listening to a few autobiographies - Michael McIntyre had me crying with laughter and David Mitchell's one about his bad back was really good too.

Takver Wed 24-Jul-13 17:43:05

I loved David Attenborough's autobiography (he reads it himself)

Corriewatcher Thu 25-Jul-13 08:02:04

Just wanted to mention that in many parts of the country you can download audiobooks for free via your library's website. I've downloaded a few like this, and a particular favourite was "The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year".

DuchessofMalfi Thu 25-Jul-13 09:02:49

I get loads of audio books free from my library's website, and e-books too. Also, I get the Librivox audio books for free from i-Tunes, some of which are better than others though. I enjoyed The Age of Innocence recently (Librivox - lovely narration), but The War of The Worlds was awful (badly read, so gave up on it and read the book instead).

GW297 Fri 26-Jul-13 01:09:55

That's so useful to know about the library - thanks! Op - I have lots of Jane Green, Marian Keyes and Sophie Kinsella audiobooks. Also Jojo Moyes' Me Before You. I look at the top charts on iTunes for ideas but will also be watching this thread with interest for further recommendations (insomniac!)

Thewhingingdefective Wed 31-Jul-13 19:41:23

I borrow from the library too and have begun downloading with One Click Digital.

The Help is fab on audio - read by three actresses so beautifully.

Alone on a Wide Wide Sea by Michael Morpurgo is very well read also.

A great non-fiction listen is The Time Traveller's Guide To Medieval England. So good!

I listened to Midnight's Children too and loved that but it was rather longgrin

I have recently listened to Submarine, Lolita, Wolf Hall, The Garden of Evening Mists and The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year.

GW297 Wed 31-Jul-13 19:51:28

Think I'm going to try the woman who went to bed for a year next!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now