2013 Weight Watchers Thread #3

(927 Posts)
jazzcat28 Wed 03-Apr-13 10:53:11

Right thought I should put up a new thread as we were getting close to filling up the old one!

Useful Notes and Links:

HD = Hairy Dieter's Recipe Book. Circa £7.00 on Amazon and full of yummy low WW point recipes

We share our yummy low point recipes on this thread

We track our losses weekly on this online spread sheet

The spread sheet also has a tab containing all the WW points for every single recipe in the HD book, courtesy of the lovely OhTheConfusion (for working them out) and AddictedtoCrunchies (for having the foresight to paste them in the spread sheet)

Here's to another thread of amazing losses ladies!!

LayMizzRarb Fri 16-Aug-13 22:02:17

Thanks for the reply! This is the first time I have tried the WW points system. Have tried every other diet on the planet, and I am actually really into counting points, entering them on my phone and enjoying making sensible choices. I hope it is more than the novelty of a new diet, and I really think I can lose weight this way.
I'm doing WW online, and have lost 9lb so far. Have more than half my body weight to lose , so obs that's why I have a lot of points!

Darkesteyes Sat 17-Aug-13 00:30:28

I have the little WW calculator and have been given 34 points a day. But Christ im struggling with this points system. Spent 2 hours last night trying to download an app to my tablet Neither DH or i could work out how to do it.
Im struggling to get my points up to 34 though i think i may have hit 29 this evening. (consultant told me thats the least i need to hit) I CANT have things like fun size bars at home because im very hungry on this plan and will eat them.
Fruit and veg just dont fill me up and i am unable to eat bananas and citrus friuts due to the fact that i had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago and ever since every time i try to eat healthily or drop my portion sizes it causes me pain. Ive posted the full story in the "to think that the diet industry is evil" thread in AIBU.
Ive done an hour and a half of walking every day and calories are low Surely thats all i need to do to lose weight.

pollywollydoodle Sat 17-Aug-13 05:10:20

darkest if you are hungry and you have points left, use them. I found adding something high protein like egg/chicken helped me...they are only a couple of points

being hungry is supposed to be counterproductive,.. your body starts to conserve energy and it becomes harder to lose.
being hungry also means you are likely to binge....you are really aiming to be learning to recognise being "quite hungry" and eating until you are "comfortably full" and trying to avoid the starving/stuffed extremes.

pollywollydoodle Sat 17-Aug-13 05:24:20

tempest on days like that i dig 0 point butternut squash soup out of the freezer and make sure i have a lunch that fills me up..eg.soup and pitta stuffed with salad and philly/egg/chicken (6-8pp) i find if i have a decent lunch and evening meal i'm less likely to want to eat everything in sight

if i just fancy something ...i eat a fisherman's friend...everything tastes horrible after itconfused

BoffinMum Sat 17-Aug-13 07:59:27

Just reporting a small initial loss of 2lbs grin

LayMizzRarb Sat 17-Aug-13 09:01:59

I had my gallbladder removed and it makes absolutely no difference to your ability to lose weight. The key to successfully losing weight is to tell yourself you can do it, and being positive. If you look for pitfalls, and seek out reasons to fail then you are more likely to fall at the first hurdle.

TheTempest Sat 17-Aug-13 09:52:43

Well done Boffin mum grin

I survived the day. Made less sensible choices than i normally do but only went 4 into my weeklies. shock

Going to work helped too wink

It's Saturday at last, what's everyone got on today?

Fisherman's friend?! Will definitely have to try that!

LayMizzRarb Sat 17-Aug-13 10:04:57

Just had the most filling breakfast. 4 WW sausages, (5pp) tin of chopped tomatoes (0pp) on a slice of hovis best of both (2pp)
Should keep me going all morning for just 7pp!

Darkesteyes Sat 17-Aug-13 16:33:01

The posts on this thread by me and haggisandneeps. We have had exactly the same experience.
And the study mentioned by Raw who is a scientist by training.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1824580-to-think-the-diet-industry-is-utterly-evil?pg=11

Darkesteyes Sat 17-Aug-13 16:33:59

Lay Mizz are you on Pro Points or the Core Plan.

LayMizzRarb Sat 17-Aug-13 16:36:53

I'm counting points. I have 43 a day, but to be honest, don't always use them all, and only have about 35 ish. I don't drink, which is probably a help smile

Darkesteyes Sat 17-Aug-13 17:56:51

Thanks...My consultant says to use all the points but im struggling to use them all up She said if i hit at least 29 then that should help but i find it a sruggle to hit even that. There is also the maths involved When food labelling is 100g instead of the actual amount thats in the pot I have to try and work it out before i can even put it into the pro points calculator.
At school i was taken out of the maths classrooom and put upstairs in "Special Help" (That was what they called it in the 80s) i found the maths work in SH too easy and the maths in the GCSE classroom too hard I didnt fit into their neat little box. I failed GCSE maths. Tried to repeat it at local college With the long fractions everyone else got it in 15 mins. The college lecturer ended up using his own time to sit down with me for an hour and a half which is the time it took for me to understand it. I cannot cope with doing a bloody maths equation every time im going to put something in my mouth. Unless what is on the container IS the same amount (portion size) that is in the container. So to combat this i have been power walking for an hour and a half every day (today i managed to do the same distance in an hour because i found my old trainers.) Having dropped my calories i should be losing weight and hopefully getting a bit fitter IMO.

LayMizzRarb Sat 17-Aug-13 18:01:49

DOn't you have access to the online tracker app if you attend meetings?

Darkesteyes Sat 17-Aug-13 18:39:32

DH and i spent 2 hours trying to download apps to my tablet on Thursday night. Neither of us has any idea how to and DH has computer qualifications.
The Cambridge Diet is starting to look tempting again.

LayMizzRarb Sat 17-Aug-13 20:13:43

Borrow a five year old. They're normally great at tech smile

Should be easy to download the app, which tablet do you have?

Darkesteyes Sat 17-Aug-13 22:17:10

Thanks but i doubt im going back Ive been incredibly upset all evening My calorie intake is lowered and im excersising every day. WW is just too complicated for me and involves mathematical division which i cant cope with It shouldnt be this hard. Think i will go and get weighed by the health practice nurse at the surgery in future.

LayMizzRarb Sun 18-Aug-13 10:35:57

Well I'm not doing any mathematics, I get the points for the items from the app or from the handbook and just record them. But it does sound like WW is not the plan for you, so attempting it will only lead to failure, so you're better off finding something that works for you.

AddictedtoCrunchies Mon 19-Aug-13 19:14:50

Darkest I'm sorry you're having so much trouble working out the points but there shouldn't be a need for maths. You should be able to enter all the numbers and then specify the portion size and it will give you the points. Cambridge Diet be may enable a short term weight loss but is it a long term solution? I don't know, only you can decide that.
What about Slimming World as there's no counting in that?
I'm sending you good vibes, whatever you decide to do smile

pollywollydoodle Tue 20-Aug-13 23:57:31

on holiday in ireland staying with friends for a fortnight.
On the plus side loads of lovely fruit and veg from the allotment and working hard at shifting my wheelchair
On the downside guinness and wine and homemade puds...think i'll be paunchy when i get back. blush

Darkesteyes Wed 21-Aug-13 00:55:11

Hi. Ive recently discovered that there is a name for my problem with maths...dyscalculia. Unless whats written ON the container is the same as whats IN it i get too confused. eg mullerlight yoghurt is in a 165g container but whats listed on the side is based on 100g. so after inputting it into the pro points calculator i then have to work out the diffrence? Too confusing for someone like me and healthy eating shouldnt have to be this hard.
Anyway ive cut my portion sizes gone low carb am eating more protein and have power walked for between an hour and an hour and a half EVERY DAY.
I did phone the WW counsellor and explained i had a problem with maths (but didnt mention dyscalculia) if you look at the linked thread its in there) and her response was to try and sell me a WW grocery shopping guide so no this isnt for me I MAY go back to SW in a few weeks when i can afford to as i also have to fork out £30 for a sports bra which will be a much better choice for me to make Im really pushing myself on the excercise front I power walk round my housing estate twice I only feel like going round once but i push myself to go round a second time EVERY time I think im doing well tbh.

pollywollydoodle Wed 21-Aug-13 06:43:33

darkesteyes at the end of inputting the data for 100g worth , do 2 steps
1) divide by 100 , this gives you 1g worth
2) times by the number of grams in your portion (so x165 for your yoghurt)

if that is too much, and you can't sort the app out then you are right to think it may not be for you as you would have to do those 2 steps regularly

LayMizzRarb Wed 21-Aug-13 09:06:55

Just bought myself a hand blender, so going to rustle up some soup later! Carrot and coriander and courgette and cauliflower. Nice ad filling for 0 or 1 pp!
Any other tasty combinations anyone?

rightsaidthread Wed 21-Aug-13 11:01:19

Hey I'm still here, not much time too post with 4dc at home. Lost half a pound this week. This slow and steady way seems to be my norm at the minute. It's a bit frustrating but at least it's still coming off

LayMizzRarb Wed 21-Aug-13 12:03:18

Better 1/2 off, than one pound on!

LayMizzRarb Wed 21-Aug-13 12:15:08

Darkesteyes, I think your counsellor did the right thing, to suggest buying the shopping guide. If people have a problem with the online app, or like my mum, are not online - it is the perfect solution. Lists a whole load of foods with points. basic foods, branded foods, and foods by supermarket.
Simple to use, just go to the supermarket/food section, and it has the points next to the item, normally by portion or packet as sold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now