Should it be this hard?

(19 Posts)
Used2bthin Mon 14-Nov-16 20:38:05

I've been going to the gym for a couple of months now. Been going to classes (spin, pilates, ab attack ) regularly and am about to start some weights.
Also been watching my diet with varied success. I am up almost a stone since starting some medication that can cause weight gain but did get down by half a stone recently with 5.2 but now have suddenly piled it back on by relaxing on it all over half term. Really struggling with motivation now as it all feels impossible (not helped by PMT). Ive been calorie counting but god it's hard and I'm not seeing results . Any advice? Should I go back to 5.2? It's so hard as im so sleep deprived and stressed - fed up today!

BIWI Mon 14-Nov-16 20:41:07

Well, firstly, exercise is only a small contributor to weight loss - it's around 20% compared to diet which is 80%.

Calorie counting is hard, and it doesn't really work to be honest - because it depends on the types of calories you've been consuming. A calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie!

If you've been getting your calories mainly in the form of carbs, this is what will be making it harder for you.

What kind of stuff have you been eating?

Maudlinmaud Mon 14-Nov-16 20:42:07

Sorry you are finding it hard, it's a pain I know. Medication is probably the root cause of this if you are exercising and limiting your calorie intake. I came off meds in august and tadah!! the weight melted away without any effort.

Used2bthin Mon 14-Nov-16 20:49:58

Thanks both. I'm eating too many carbs definitely. Had a personal training session and he suggested upping my protein intake. I would far rather have a set way of eating and not count calories . Not sure about going low carb as I worry about side effects but I have read that the tablets I'm on cause something to do with weight gain from carbs so perhaps I should... otherwise I do have fairly healthy meals lots of veg , I struggle not to have too much cheese and that is my downfall ( well that and we and crisps but I've really death with them!)
I had a similar thing Maudlinmaud a few years back when coming off tablets. I really hope it's the same for me but will be a while so need to act now too. So frustrating !

oldlaundbooth Mon 14-Nov-16 20:52:09

Do BIWI's next low carb bootcamp. Not sure when it is. BIWI?

Life is too short for it to be that difficult, and it's low carb not no carb!

Cheese is actively encouraged on BootCamp grin

Used2bthin Mon 14-Nov-16 20:54:14

Oh wow that does sound tempting. It would completely change the way I eat but perhaps I should find out more about low carb as opposed to no carb - presumably less side effects ?

Maudlinmaud Mon 14-Nov-16 20:55:35

used I get it I really do and I know how awful it makes you feel, for you flowers
Carbs where and are my downfall too, have you tried those meal replacement shakes? I got some yokebe (sp?) and gave it a go. I think once I got over the first few days of hunger it got my body used to eating a bit less and helped manage my cravings.

Used2bthin Mon 14-Nov-16 20:56:57

I agree- pmt and weepy tonight and have a chronically ill and disabled dd who I've had a bad day with so it so hard to be strict with myself but on the other hand it makes me so miserable being so much bigger than I used to be. 10 pounds off would put me in healthy bmi territory and a stone and a half would be me happy yt somehow I keep having two steps forward then three back. Such a vicious cycle, I need to stick with something .

Maudlinmaud Mon 14-Nov-16 20:57:02

BIWI has a bootcamp? That sounds brillant. Sorry BIWI I didn't know that.

Used2bthin Mon 14-Nov-16 20:58:37

Thanks Maudlinmaud that's a good idea I do lose weight with those once and kept it off. It is about adapting to less isn't it.

Maudlinmaud Mon 14-Nov-16 21:00:07

Go easy on yourself op, you will find your stride smile

Used2bthin Mon 14-Nov-16 21:03:49

Thank you- hope so . Will look out for this boot camp !

BIWI Mon 14-Nov-16 21:42:29

we're on week 4 of the current Bootcamp, but you're very welcome to join us!

But there are two things I have to correct you on:

- any side effects of low carbing are only temporary, and should only last 3-4 days. It will be in the first week while your body gets used to it and, basically, withdraws from carbs!

- it's low carb, not no carb. You'll get your carbs from the veg and salad that you're eating

Used2bthin Mon 14-Nov-16 21:52:48

Thanks BIWI. I will have a read through of that and sleep on it! I'm extremely tempted!
Also good to know that side effects aren't too bad to cope with - withdrawal sounds about right , I'm definitely addicted to crisps, can't have them in the house at all! Need to read up as had assumed I'd need to cut down on vegetables and I like them a lot.

Shurelyshomemistake Wed 16-Nov-16 11:26:00

From the limited amount you've said I suspect that you might be on the same meds as me, albeit I am on a very low dose these days.

Shurelyshomemistake Wed 16-Nov-16 11:26:00

From the limited amount you've said I suspect that you might be on the same meds as me, albeit I am on a very low dose these days.

Shurelyshomemistake Wed 16-Nov-16 11:26:14

Oh grrr posted too soon.

Shurelyshomemistake Wed 16-Nov-16 11:26:14

Oh grrr posted too soon.

Shurelyshomemistake Wed 16-Nov-16 11:26:28

Arrrgh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now