Does Mirena coil cause weight gain / retention?

(1 Post)
MajorClanger123 Mon 24-Oct-16 10:12:24

Hi all,
I'm sure this has been done to death on mumsnet, but I can't find any really recent threads.

I had a Mirena coil fitted 18 months ago. All fine - pretty much no periods after 3 months. However I'm struggling with my weight and I wonder if it's due to the coil....

I know it doesn't sound much, but I'm usually always slap bang on 9st 3lb. Always have been - even after having 3 kids I always drop back down to my usual 9st3lb.

However I've noticed in the past year or so that my weight had crept up to between 9st7-9st10 and I just cannot shift it (even though I have continued to work out as per normal and eat healthily etc).

I feel like my stomach has bloated somewhat and is never flat anymore. Whatever I do, I just can't lose those 5 or so pounds. I also notice that both last summer and this summer I had episodes of feeling incredibly and irrationally nervous about certain things, in a way in which I've never felt before.

Not sure if weight loss is the right place to post, but wondering if anyone else has experienced similar? I'm keen on having the coil removed - I've never liked synthetic hormones in my body e.g. Pill, and I just wonder if weight and coil are linked?
Thanks in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now