MFP - why aren't I getting smaller??

(15 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 22-Aug-16 21:32:41

Argh, the constant question in my life!

I have a new Fitbit (my third one, long story), so for the first time in a while my Fitbit stats have synced with my MFP today. I have finished eating and exercising for today and these are my stats:

Goal 1740 cals
Food 1614 cals
Exercise 1788 cals
Remaining 1914 cals

The Fitbit counts calories burnt from exercise as well as just being alive, so the 'exercise' cals above are more 'cals burnt' rather than cals I exercised away.

It was a pretty typical day, ate OK (few too many carbs though) and had a PT session at the gym. Literally my normal life, I don't understand why, with that deficit, I'm not losing - in fact if anything I'm putting on weight sad Something is obviously wrong!

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 22-Aug-16 21:34:04

Today's allowances:

dun1urkin Mon 22-Aug-16 21:46:20

These things woefully overestimate the calories used in exercise in my experience.
In your shoes I'd work out TDEE, knock 20-25% off that and eat to that level irrespective of exercise calories 'earned'

dun1urkin Mon 22-Aug-16 21:48:46

PS if it helps at all, I need around 1750 calories per day to maintain my current weight, being circa 64kg. I class myself as 'lightly active' - spinning, step and Pilates on a weekly basis, occasional mid(ish) distance fair weather cyclist.

Bagina Mon 22-Aug-16 21:57:43

Ignore exercise calories; see it as just for information.

Be honest, do you need that many calories? I was doing 1500 but realised it still allowed for lots of snacks. I now do 1200: 3 meals per day, plus a 100 calorie snack.

Just what I found made the difference for me.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 22-Aug-16 22:04:15

OK cool. Just did a TDEE calculator and got 2649. 25% taken off of 2649 is 1987 cals which is more than MFP currently allows me. I ate 1614 today confused

Bagina Mon 22-Aug-16 22:08:25

What's mfp suggesting for 2lbs loss per week?

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 22-Aug-16 22:10:05

It's currently set to lose 2lb per week, so 1740 cals.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 22-Aug-16 22:14:01

Maybe I'll just set it down to 1500 or something. I do like MFP for the food scanning and it keeps me mindful. I've just got myself confused here!

dun1urkin Mon 22-Aug-16 22:16:06

Oh I thought you might have been eating the exercise calories.
I'm stumped then. You clearly should be losing weight if you're only eating circa 1600 calories a day but need 1000 calories more than that to 'stay the same'.
How religious are you about consistantly weighing, and logging food/drinks accurately? Only asking because I remember some of my portion sizes crept up if I wasn't mindful. And how long have you been trying to lose weight?
Genuinely confused for you. Maybe someone else will come along and explain...

Bagina Mon 22-Aug-16 22:17:32

Keep going! Enter your measurements into it weekly too.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 22-Aug-16 22:23:08

I have been trying to lose weight for my whole life basically. Well from the age of about 10, I'm sad to say. So 16 years. But been doing MFP on and off for about 5 years. I flit in and out, which I'm not happy about, but I find it hard to keep at it when i don't see results.
The only time I've ever lost weight was for my wedding - I ate chicken, peas and sweet corn for lunch every day for months and months! Not good!
I can honestly hand on heart say I make healthy choices 95% of the time. I am educated about food and nutrition. I am seeing a PT to make me fitter, and I'm loving it. I always cook from scratch. I don't do fad diets. Blah. I don't know. That's probably not enough, realistically!

Bagina Mon 22-Aug-16 22:29:40

I was frustrated at slow loss and it was causing me to not bother. Once I reduced my allowance it started to come off again.

I did buy the wrong squash once not realising it wasn't sugar free. I was having nearly my day's calories in that alone!

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 23-Aug-16 09:21:42

Ok I will try a smaller allowance. I only drink water and tea and coffee (dash of semi skimmed milk) 😩

Bagina Tue 23-Aug-16 09:34:40

Just give it a week on lower and see what happens. Remember to log your measurements too. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now