Quitting sugar - am I doing it right ?

(6 Posts)
Colourfulpast1975 Thu 11-Aug-16 09:40:17

Up until 5 days ago, I was eating too many sugary treats : biscuits, lots of sweets, lots chocolate daily....I have stopped all that. For the last 6 months, I haven't had wine, bread etc...

Will I get my energy back or do I need to cut down on fruits as well ?

HolgerDanske Thu 11-Aug-16 09:43:46

You need to cut down on fruit almost completely and also pasta, bread, rice, etc, if you're serious about cutting out sugar.

Look at the low carbing threads on here and especially BIWI's low carb bout camps. They are brilliant.

Good luck!

Colourfulpast1975 Thu 11-Aug-16 09:45:21

Thank you Holger !! So what can I eat then ? I'm going to look at the thread !

YorkieDorkie Thu 11-Aug-16 09:46:18

It's the refined sugar so you're right to cut out the things you've listed. I still eat these things in moderation because I'm trying to lose weight using ordinary food so if I'm offered something sugary I can feel fine about eating it.
I would still incorporate lots of fruit into your diet because the sugar is naturally occurring however, I would make sure that 3-4 of your 5 a day are vegetables. Drinking plenty of water will help detoxify your body but it may take a week or so of flushing to feel an energy boost. Plenty of protein for energy because your boost has got to come from somewhere! Also a good amount of exercise will give you the endorphins that the sugar was stopping your body getting naturally. starhalo

user7755 Thu 11-Aug-16 09:53:24

I haven't had refined sugar for months but eat naturally occurring sugars. I don't think I've lost weight but my energy levels are really consistent, I feel 'cleaner' (not sure if that even makes sense) and I'm definitely healthier looking.

I didn't find it hard so perhaps can't help but tend to eat
Fruit and Greek yoghurt with honey for breakfast
Snacks (maybe once a day) I have a banana or something
I have had those nakd bars too which are lovely (the chocolate orange one is amazing) but only once every couple of weeks.
If I have a pudding it's fruit salad but I generally don't bother.

babba2014 Thu 11-Aug-16 17:19:43

I lost weight by cutting out refines sugar.

Eating fruit is fine. It fills you up and has vitamins and fibres to help with all the weight loss. Just don't have takeaway and fried food either.

I did have bread though but I am not into pasta and all that so I guess I was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now