weight loss failure, what am i doing wrong?

(14 Posts)
elliejjtiny Wed 20-Jul-16 11:31:20

I've been trying half heartedly to diet all year and I keep losing and gaining the same stone. last Thursday I started again, determined to shift the extra weight. I thought I was doing really well, calorie counting 500-800 calories plus unlimited fresh/frozen fruit and veg. I was really in the zone and I weighed in this morning expecting a 3lb loss at least. but I was exactly the same. I've got a lot to lose (bmi 45 at least) so I thought it would come off quite quickly at the beginning and then slow down. I know it's only been a week but I thought there would be some sort of result from my hard work by now. af not due for 10 days so don't think it's the premenstrual bloat yet. should I be patient and carry on or try something else? I was wondering about exercise but time is a bit tight and I've got 5 dc aged 2-10 so already knackered before I even start!

ThomasHardyPerennial Wed 20-Jul-16 13:04:45

Not sure if I quite understand the calorie logging (5-800 is far far too low), but it doesn't sound like you are eating enough. Fruit should be limited to 1-2 pieces a day, as it contains a lot of sugar. Are you eating much protein? Exercise doesn't have to take much time - have you looked at HIIT?

KP86 Wed 20-Jul-16 13:09:33

Not enough calories! Even with the added fruit and vegies.

Would you consider a more strict eating plan like low carb high fat or a group like Slimming World?

EnglebertSlaptyback Wed 20-Jul-16 13:26:25

Eat enough.
Work out your BMR (basal metabolic rate) there's loads of sites to help you. There are many methods so get a few results and choose one in the middle.
I put my activity as 0, so al activity I do in the day is extra calories in the spent bucket.
Base your meals around protein.
Eggs and bacon (try the two chicks egg white for scrambled eggs with 1 egg to up the protein) with spinach and a piece of rye bread.
Snack on a piece of fruit and Greek yoghurt, (doesn't have to be 0% fat) or packs of meat.
Lunch of chicken and veg can be microwaved.

The BEST diet for you is one you can stick to.
One you feel you don't need to have a 'cheat meal' or let go on the weekend.
If you like a drink, enjoy a small glass of wine on particularly active days.
Consistency is key & exercise will come from being a mum!

phoolani Wed 20-Jul-16 13:37:56

It's generally agreed on that exercise, whilst it has many other benefits, doesn't help with weight loss (unless you train at professional athlete level!); it's basically all about diet. Is it possible for you to fast a couple of days a week? I don't mean fannying about on the 5:2 or some such, just fasting, as in no food. Starting slowly obviously with some days when you eat say 600-700 calories for the fast day, but eating 'normally' on other days. I've done 1 day a week fasts on and off for 20 years and not only does my weight seem to regulate itself but I feel much better and it seems to have loads of other benefits, too. With a 45 bmi, I'd take medical advice before doing anything tho. Also maybe read the Diet Myth which is really good at looking at what's good to eat.

KindDogsTail Wed 20-Jul-16 14:08:52

What about following a food plan that has worked out what foods will help?
A lot of people are losing weight with M Mosely's Blood Sugar diet.
That has protein, vegetables and low carbohydrates.

All the food is nutritious and the principles are more subtle than in diets following the idea of calories in, calories out - in this diet it is about how certain food affects the metabolism. It was devised for people with diabetes, but it can help everyone. Read the precautions though - for example if you have an eating disorder, the calories are too low.

(If you do need to add some calories try to do it with a little more good fats, nuts and seeds or a little whole grain rice, potatoes with skins etc rather than with refined white carbohydrates and sugars - including too much natural sugar in fruit juice or very sweet fruits.)

There is a book you can buy, and meanwhile there is a basic plan included this newspaper article.get.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3404259/Eat-beat-diabetes-just-eight-weeks-s-life-changing-diet-help-avoid-reverse-Type-2-diabetes-best-s-tasty-way-health.html

KindDogsTail Wed 20-Jul-16 15:34:52

thebloodsugardiet.com/the-bsd-options/

This page gives all the options of various Blood Sugar Diets.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 20-Jul-16 15:43:23

I second the blood sugar diet. Come and join us on our friendly thread on here, I think it's blood sugar diet part 4 now! I have lost 30lb so far with another 10 to go. If you can manage on 800 calories that's the biggest hurdle of this plan so you're halfway there. You can do a higher calories version or 5:2 style if you prefer. It's the easiest diet I've done and I have done a lot. Also, if your bmi is 45, you carry weight around your tummy, and you eat a lot of sugar (not saying these are true, just if you do) then invariably while you may not be diabetic you will almost certainly have some degree of insulin resistance and the best way for you to lose weight will be to balance out your sugar/insulin response with whatever plan you choose. Good luck! (Our BSD thread is lovely and very supportive, lots of old wise BSD followers and plenty of newbies join all the time)

KindDogsTail Wed 20-Jul-16 15:51:55

Further to what the newaveragebear1983 said their seems to be a third option to the fast 800 calories or 5:2.

That is:
3. BSD Low Carb Med Style Way of Life:
For those who find fasting too much of a challenge for whatever reason or do not need to lose significant amounts of weight.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 20-Jul-16 16:03:35

Yy kind I've had lots of days where I've not calorie counted but have stuck to low carb:high fat and sugar free and have still had good losses. After the initial 8 weeks at 800 cals a day, MM does advise a 5:2 approach, the extreme calorie count is not a long term solution!

KindDogsTail Wed 20-Jul-16 16:35:38

Thanks for explaining New .

KindDogsTail Wed 20-Jul-16 16:57:58

FROM MM FAQS
You SHOULD NOT do a low calorie / fasting diet if you are :
Underweight and^/^or have a history of an eating disorder

N.B an eating disorder could be bulimia/binge-eating too, so a person could be over-weight but have an ED.

elliejjtiny Thu 21-Jul-16 03:42:03

Thankyou. Just ordered the blood sugar diet book off amazon and will give that a go.

KindDogsTail Thu 21-Jul-16 15:50:03

elliejjtiny
Good luck with it!
I think as newwave said there is a very friendly thread on MN with other posters following it too, and posting recipes they have found. People seem to get on very well with it and could probably give you advice and support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now