How to stay motivated to eat right?

(10 Posts)
happylittlefish Wed 22-Jun-16 19:12:40

Its really hard, what with everyone else eating crap and it being advertised constantly. How do people stay motivated not to eat it? Could people give food diaries of healthy days please?

Runningupthathill82 Wed 22-Jun-16 19:26:28

How to stay motivated?

Firstly, I couldn't eat crap if I tried because we don't have it in the house. If I trawled the cupboard wanting a binge right now about the worst thing I could find would be porridge oat bars. So first tip, don't buy processed/sugary/snacky stuff, as it's tempting. Much harder to snack if it involves cooking first.

You say "everyone else" is eating crap. Who is everyone else? Your family? OK, from now on everyore eats healthy food, together, always. If people at work are eating rubbish, say no.

I don't have "healthy days" as generally I just eat lots of fresh fruit, veg, fish, meat etc all the time. Every day is about being healthy, I don't think of myself as on a "diet."

Breakfast is always full fat Greek yoghurt with fruit.

Lunch today was a roast chicken leg with Moroccan fruity couscous. On lazier days it's often eggs and avocado on wholemeal toast. Some sort of salad/cheese/meat/egg concoction, always.

Dinner tonight is salmon fillet with sweet potato mash, kale and green beans. Last night it was homemade vegetable soup. Tomorrow I'm doing chickpea curry.

DH eats the same as me, but more of it. DS (3) tends to have porridge for breakfast, same as us for lunch and sometimes a different dinner. Tonight he had a ham omelette as he's not keen on fish.

As a treat I'll have a couple of pieces of lidl's 70% dark chocolate or a glass of wine.

happylittlefish Wed 22-Jun-16 19:43:40

Thanks for response.

By everyone else, I mean literally everyone else. People nowadays eat lots of rubbish, and if I say I'm trying to eat well they're like "but why? You're already skinny?" etc etc.
I guess its just a quick thing to grab, and it supplies a short burst of energy, that's why I eat it a lot.

In order to eat healthily, do I cut out fat/carbs etc, or just eat everything in moderation? Nowadays, advice is way too conflicting - I'm not sire WHAT to eat.

Runningupthathill82 Wed 22-Jun-16 20:42:45

I'm no expert, but I just eat fresh, whole foods and cook from scratch 99% of the time. Full fat stuff, nothing "diet", no ready meals, no packets etc.

Definitely no cutting out food groups, as it's unsustainable, but I do try to avoid white carbs and sugar (apart from in fruit and so on).

That's how most people I know eat too - but most of my friends are runners and cyclists, and think of food as fuel for a healthy body.

I'm always amazed when I open the fridge at my sister's house and see ready meals, desserts, processed cheese, fizzy drinks etc, as it's so alien to the way most people I know eat. And it must be bloody expensive!

Another tip - shop at Lidl or Aldi. Less choice and fewer ready meal options means less temptation, and their fresh produce is v good indeed.

Passthecake30 Wed 22-Jun-16 20:52:43

Maybe the less crap you eat the less you crave it? I used to have a bag of crisps every day and now I just have some on Saturday nights. Coke dropped from every day, to twice a week and now none since new year halo. I snack on unsalted nuts and have a dark chocolate addiction...and probably eat way too much museli and porridge. I've cut down processed foods, last week I had frozen fish, frozen chips and white bread and I just felt bleurgh.... So I think it's getting used to a new way of eating.

happylittlefish Wed 22-Jun-16 20:55:41

I'm very skinny, but I just want to be a lot healthier 😁 starting tomorrow, I'm going to start my health kick 😊

Thanks for all responses. I agree that cutting out food groups is unsustainable - just wanted to make sure that it was the best way

Passthecake30 Wed 22-Jun-16 21:07:13

I'd start with reducing the processed food, no need for a massive dietary shift you can't sustain, plus it makes people very dull if all they talk about is what they can and can't eat!. What do you usually eat?

happylittlefish Wed 22-Jun-16 21:24:48

I usually have:
Cereal with milk
Banana, crisps
Sandwich, apple
Tea (usually not much veg)
Pudding (choc bar etc)
Then at night I end up binging 😞

But... Tomorrows plan is:
Eggs on toast
Banana, grapes, orange
Tuna salad
Fish, jacket potato, lots of veg

alexandragimenez Thu 23-Jun-16 10:51:05

Plan your meals and prepare your food in advance so that you always have it with you and not be tempted to spend money on junk food.

Thebewilderbeest Thu 23-Jun-16 12:40:33

I am also very confused about food. After 18 months of swinging between calorie counting, slimming world, and eating what the hell I like I have bounced up and down between 9 and 10 stone and feel like crap all the time.
Have decided to stop actively trying to lose weight and just eat decent healthy food, but what is actually decent and healthy? There is so much conflicting information! According to the Internet dairy is indigestible, everyone is allergic to wheat, fruit makes you fat and red meat gives you cancer. Plus you can't even trust the good old NHS any more unless you want to eat reduced fat artificially sweetened everything.

So I'm opting for trying to eat food that is as unprocessed as possible and hoping for the best. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now