Can someone confirm my understanding of Ketostix / ketosis?

(9 Posts)
QuimReaper Mon 20-Jun-16 11:39:38

Am I right in thinking that any register on the Ketostix chart means you're in ketosis, and darker colours just mean you're more dehydrated so the ketones are more concentrated?

Or are there actually "degrees" of ketosis?

Scarydinosaurs Mon 20-Jun-16 11:43:39

Yes, you can have +ketones, ++, and +++ etc

LokisUnderpants Mon 20-Jun-16 11:46:28

No you're not dehydrated, the darker the colour the more ketones you're producing.

OurBlanche Mon 20-Jun-16 11:53:34

OK, so are you using them purely to measure ketines for weight loss?

Which colour?
Darker urine = dehydration
Darker stick marker = greater keytone concentration

BUt mainly, why are you using the stix...?

QuimReaper Mon 20-Jun-16 11:56:29

Our yes, it was just a whim really - I realised on Thursday evening I thought I had entered into ketosis and some trawling through old MN threads threw up a mention of ketostix so I impulse-bought some. I then discovered they're generally reviled on here because if you're LCing / dieting properly then you should be drinking enough water to flush all traces out, hence my confusion.

They were an expensive whim really since I'm using them out of vague interest!

QuimReaper Mon 20-Jun-16 11:57:37

Thanks for the clarification!

QuimReaper Mon 20-Jun-16 11:58:46

My pee is basically pure water except for first thing in the morning. Not ideal since my preferred method of exercise is to go on a nice bracing 2hr walk, which are now dictated entirely by the availability of loo stops hmm

OurBlanche Mon 20-Jun-16 12:23:06

smile The info on here can be really confusing.

Ignore the sales hype and the mentions of the Dreaded Dr A, but the keytone info here is OK and easy to read if you subtitute Thing A and Thing B for the long words smile

www.lowcarbluxury.com/ketostix.html

QuimReaper Mon 20-Jun-16 12:41:48

That's a great link OurBlanche, very digestible, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now