How can I do this alone?

(15 Posts)
Foofoobum Tue 31-May-16 13:45:30

Talking about tho s is a big step for me. I've moaned to my oh about being fat for a long time but can't find a way to lose weight. I have an under active thyroid and was on high dose steroids for 3years so put on 4stone - I did lose the bloat after coming off but not the majority of the weight. My rheumatologist said I probably would never lose the weight. My hormones are going haywire so now I have a huge belly that I never had before. The women in my family all have this huge menopausal belly and it's horrible. At least they all got it in their 50s. I'm only 40 sad they were all size 10-12 at my age so I worry about how big I'm due to get. It must be genetic they all have it.

I have no one to do a diet /lifestyle change with which makes it much harder - my oh despite being overweight has no desire to join in so its just me. I'm autistic so very fussy but thankfully it's only chicken and rice I eat.
I don't drink or smoke but can't really exercise due to rheumatoid arthritis. I don't like chocolate and have cut out crisps but I do like to have one can of soft drink a day (aspartame gives me an awful headache so no sugar free)
I'm thinking of slimming world but I went to a trial meeting last night and it was all long term members who lose a few pounds then gain them back plus one. I don't want to be that kind of person. I must change.

How can I do this alone?

SharingMichelle Tue 31-May-16 13:52:15

I've found Mumsnet weightloss support boards very helpful.

I've also found it fairly easy to lose 2 stone in the last few months. I just made some rules and didn't break them.

My rules were:
* under 1300 calories a day (monitored on MFP)
* exercise 3 times a week (got a PT and tennis lessons so I just have to turn up and do what I'm told)

And that's it really. I can see how if you keep breaking the rules you would yoyo up and down, but I really want this so I stuck to it. You would need to make your own rules to suit you and then - just stick to it.

Good luck!!

SharingMichelle Tue 31-May-16 13:53:27

Regarding the 'doing it alone' bit. That's been okay too. Other than the MN boards (which I love for the odd rant and support) I've done it for me and I've done it by myself. It has made me feel strong, and enormously proud of myself.

Shannaratiger Tue 31-May-16 13:56:29

I'm doing low carb, having tried and failed on slimming world and weight watchers.
I make Monday a no carb day, just eat loads of fruit, veg and leaner protein e.g. fish, chicken beans and pulses. Trust me I only got hungry if I do lots of rushing around. The other days I just try and stop always having carbs as the main part of the meal.
I was really sceptical but I've been fine (except this week when the half term routine change has, as usual, thrown my dyspraxic brain into panic mode. Will be back on track again next week!)

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Tue 31-May-16 13:58:17

I'm calorie counting at the moment and have lost 8 or 9 pounds so far. It's coming off slowly but surely.

I do walk a lot but don't do any other exercise as such (Although am working on this stumbling block).

I am eating between 1200 and 1400 calories a day, and it is easy to stick to if you buy in the right food and use My Fitness Pal to log everything that goes in!

I would strongly recommend you getting rid of the fizzy drinks , as it's just dead calories.

There are plenty of threads on here and if you join one you could weigh in weekly as an incentive.

Good luck.

metimeisforwimps Tue 31-May-16 13:59:30

No advice really but I wanted to wish you the best of luck. You seem determined despite the obstacles.
You say not able to exercise, but would you be able to walk daily? I've never really exercised but walk quite a bit (if it would take me half an hour or less to get somewhere walking, I walk) and I think that's helped keep my weight OK throughout the child bearing years!
I can understand your reservations about diet clubs etc, I think real lasting change comes from a healthy, natural diet.

metimeisforwimps Tue 31-May-16 14:02:42

Also, I've been reading some interesting stuff lately about hunger, and how we see it is a bad feeling that we need to get rid of, but actually, our ancestors probably spent quite a lot of time hungry, as they didn't snack between meals, and hunger has a positive effect on the body. Apparently when in hunger mode the body eats up pre-cancerous cells.
So I think realising it's OK to feel hungry sometimes and just eating at set times could help.

Owllady Tue 31-May-16 14:06:06

Can you swim? Or would you qualify for hydro because of your condition?
I need to lose loads too.

Foofoobum Tue 31-May-16 20:39:06

Thank you all.

I struggle to walk because of the inflammatory arthritis but we do walk to and from school each day. Further than that becomes a struggle - the same with swimming too as my elbows and wrists are currently flaring. Occasionally I can cycle but not often as I need someone to come with me and it's hard finding willing participants (yay autism)

I'm going to give weightloss a go tho as it can't go on like this any longer

Owllady Tue 31-May-16 20:52:52

Would you walk in the pool rather than swim?

Foofoobum Wed 01-Jun-16 14:25:33

Hi owllady sometimes just getting into the pool is too hard and I'm not using one of those hoist things. The walking in the pool is great when the pool is easy to get into. The local pools all have the step ladders in and out which is impossible Somedays.

Someone from dd's school suggested the hot yoga - I'm wondering if that might help. I used to love yoga but I'm not sure if the heat would be a help or hindrance

Owllady Wed 01-Jun-16 17:01:04

You could try? On a good day x

RedMapleLeaf Thu 02-Jun-16 06:13:05

Why do you think you can't lose weight on your own?

Foofoobum Thu 02-Jun-16 17:23:55

Because family support would really help me stick to a lifestyle change. Having junk food in the house is too tempting but the others feel they don't need to give up these things. Like any addict having temptation in the way is likely to cause a relapse and I do consider myself an addict.

I also struggle, as an autistic person, to go places on my own - so even when my arthritis isn't flaring I can't really go exercising without someone to come with me. Cycling is something I can sometimes do even if my arthritis is flaring but I need to have someone accompany me because I'm not very good at going out on my own. We don't get any financial support to pay for someone so I rely on others.

It's easy for neurotypical people not to understand the need for others to support and actively help/do when an autistic person is trying to change their lifestyle. I get very anxious at change and even knowing it needs to be done doesn't make it any easier. I can't really explain better than that why I can't do it alone.

RedMapleLeaf Fri 03-Jun-16 07:50:15

Because family support would really help me stick to a lifestyle change. Having junk food in the house is too tempting but the others feel they don't need to give up these things.

Agreed, but does anyone have perfect conditions for losing weight?

Like any addict having temptation in the way is likely to cause a relapse and I do consider myself an addict.

Fair enough, so it might be worth thinking about how other addicts give up smoking, drinking, over-eating, drugs etc because they do so every single day.

I also struggle, as an autistic person, to go places on my own - so even when my arthritis isn't flaring I can't really go exercising without someone to come with me. Cycling is something I can sometimes do even if my arthritis is flaring but I need to have someone accompany me because I'm not very good at going out on my own. We don't get any financial support to pay for someone so I rely on others.

So, how might other people in similar situations have overcome these barriers?

It's easy for neurotypical people not to understand the need for others to support and actively help/do when an autistic person is trying to change their lifestyle. I get very anxious at change and even knowing it needs to be done doesn't make it any easier. I can't really explain better than that why I can't do it alone.

You are not helpless. You are capable of identifying what support you are currently lacking (your last post). You are also capable of reaching out for that support (starting this thread). I hope you can see that I'm trying to challenge your belief that you can't lose weight on your own. A) Are you sure you can't? B) Do you actually have to be on your own?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now