fatty needing advice

(5 Posts)
Mummyoftwo91 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:12:53

Hello I've recently started my mission to loose weight I am 11st 8 and hoping to get down to 10 with healthy eating an exercise, I am clueless when it comes to exercise and would love to know if what I'm doing is right! At the moment I am exercising 5 days a week doing an 2 hour walk in the morning at a moderate pace as I'm pushing a buggy, then in the evening I'm doing 20 minutes of jogging then 20 minutes of strength exercises such as squats light arm weights sit ups ect, some advice would be amazing!

RunnerOnTheRun Mon 18-Apr-16 21:11:26

Hello!
Well done you that is a lot of lovely movement there. I don't think you are clueless at all!

Tell me what type of weights you have and what you do with them? Building muscle is an excellent way to ramp up your metabolism and burn that fat while you sleep! I do 3 lots of heavy strength a week (at home) and one cardio (run). But it all comes down to food, you can't out exercise a bad diet etc etc. So make approx 85% of your food intake fresh, wholesome real food, if you are like most people and enjoy alcohol, cakes, processed foods then just have it and enjoy it guilt free when it is worth it. ie, a party, an event, a special weekend meal with someone special, not just random snacking.

Hope that helps.

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 18-Apr-16 21:36:11

Hello thanks for replying! I have 1kg weights and I do various arm, core and leg exercises and 30 reps of each, I feel like I should be burning more calories or is that me being impatient!? My diet is pretty decent I am vegetarian and have been trying to eat clean unprocessed food since I started exercising!

RunnerOnTheRun Mon 18-Apr-16 21:43:29

That's all good but let's get serious with the weights now!

With good form, and higher weights, you should be doing around half those reps. Pick 3 exercises and do 10-15 reps of each, for 3 rounds. So let's say you like squats:

10 x squats (holding the weights down by your sides - google for image)
10 x lunges (again google/youtube for "dumbell lunges")
10 x jumping jacks

repeat 3 times. That is a very simple workout, you can google for other ideas but you want to be fatiguing around rep 10-15 so adjust where necessary. If you can do 30 reps now with 1kg without stopping then it is too light to cause adaptation (change). Other ideas would be squat and press (an extension of the squat), arm rows holding the dumbells. Rest the day after (and you will feel a nice dull ache, but not a painful injury hopefully!).

Weight loss is a slow and long journey, it's the way it should be, otherwise it won't be sustainable and will just come back. This way you are creating new habits which will stay with you for life and not mess up your metabolism. Make sure you are eating plenty of leafy greens and up the water!

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 18-Apr-16 21:58:30

Thank you so much that's very helpful advice and I'm going to have a look on YouTube and buy a set of new weights!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now